Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After changing shocks and springs and checking all the control arms and engine and transmission mounts, I still had the low speed knock in the front end which you could feel in the steering wheel. In addition, when you rocked the steering wheel side to side you could hear the sound when sitting still.
Finally I decided to check the steering rack bolts and sure enough as posted in some of the threads the bolt under the battery (of course) was loose. Upon tightening it the problem is gone.
However, I would like to check the mounting bolt that is under the rack. Can someone please tell me how you get to it. I was under the car but couldnt see the rack from there. Do i need to remove the plastic cover in the wheel well that is near the tie rod?

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
The rack is behind the engine firewall. You have to slide way up under the car to see it. While you're at it, remove the two rubber bungs that supposedly help water drain out of the battery compartment. Gravity will make the water drain out just fine all by itself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry Blakwag, i still cant find that third bolt.
I have the VW shop manual andthe Haynes manual and they show pictures and pictorials, but I cannot see anything that resembles the bolt.
I have a V-6 4-Motion, is it possible there is too much stuff to look past.
Can someone describe in more detail where this is.
I looked on the left side of the car, up past the exhaust pipe but cant see anything.
Maybe I should get Jack Sparrow's map.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
btw...I hope you're using wheel ramps or chassis stands to hold your car up while you're yanking on the steering rack, or we won't need Jack Sparrow's map to find the dead man's chest. :whistle:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Billybob
Try the bolt under the battery. That was my main problem.
I am still looking for the third bolt.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
I stumbled across the diagram in my paper Bentley manual a few days ago. Unfortunately, I can't upload pages from a paper manual. The two top bolts attach to the front of the rack and the one bottom bolt attaches to the back of the rack, closer to the driver's side.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I found the third bolt. Wasn't too hard to spot. Get under the car and look behind the firewall. It's past what looks like a heat sheild with a rounded cut in it to let you get a socket extension in there. MIne was nice and tight. sigh...the search continues. Use a flashlight.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I guess I will have to take a closer look at the diagram. Mine were loose and I tightened the obvious two but never saw the third on the diagram guess I have to be more carefull. perhaps that will take care of some of my clunking aswell.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Will check mine next weekend. Would be nice if that was it but I'm thinking tie rod ends myself. All CAs done in the last 6 months so hopefully none of those again :)

·
Registered
537 Posts
I can only find the two you see from above, and I have no socket that fits them. Can anyone tell me what I need to fit these bolts? Would be much appreciated :)

The diagram in my Haynes manual only shows the two bolts that you get to from above. No sign of a third bolt that I can see. I'll upload it later and maybe some kind soul can point out where the third bolt might be too?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yeah just saw that last night on an ETKA pdf that was posted recently.

What does that translate to in terms of mm sockets? or do I need a different kind of socket to normal?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Billybob,

How are you accessing those bolts?
Is it beneath the battery compartment/above the firewall?
It looks like two bolts are accessed from up top while the
third is from beneath the car somehow... long extension(s)?

thanks,

·
Registered
633 Posts
I finally got to all three of them. On my 2000 V6 manual fwd the one from onder the car is accessible with a bunch of extensions. you'll need a flash light to see all the way up there as well. The two from above are located under the battery. For the passenger side one I had to remove the battery for the drivers side one it is just beside the battery. As far as socket size I can't remember but I used a metric 12 point socket so just try a few and I sure you'l find one that works. good luck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts