Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night as I was driving on the freeway I knew I was low on gas. I checked the MFD and decided I was safe till I reached home (< 6 miles away). Coming up to the Culver exit on the 5S, I feel the car lose power and sputter/stutter a little.

I start thinking the worst so I pull off the free way and drive it for another 1.5 mins with intermitten shudder/ stutter/ sputter till I hit the nearby gas station. I drop in $11 in 91 octane gas, netting me a whole 4.5 gallons :mad: ! I check my oil, looked a tad low so I topped it up with about 1/6 of a quart of SynPower 5-40.

When I removed the oil cap, I saw a tiny wisp of pale white smoke like escaping steam or heat. On the way home and all day today (90+ degree heat), the car drives fine. No loss of power or stuttering but the CEL remains despite 5 or 6 ignition cycles.

Any ideas? Currently seeking VAG-COM in Irvine area! I might meet up with D.Passat00 in Anaheim,CA but that's over 1 week away.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
the only thing i can think of is maybe the missfires caused some debis to get into the cats and you need new, or spark plugs are dirty. but you need a code for anyone to really help you because there could be tons of problems assosiated with missfires

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
The steam really isn't anything to worry about. If some car exhaust is getting past your rings, (That is what the PCV valve is for, after all) steam would make perfect sense. Car exhaust is more water vapor than anything else.

Are you sure you didn't run the tank dry? That would explain the power loss and the CEL.

SirWired

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might have run the tank drier than I thought. It read 45 miles on the MFD and I've driven it till it read 0 before. That'll teach me to do that again! :poke: The steam didn't worry me much, it was just a tiny wisp.

Good news is, the CEL went away when I started up the car 1 hr ago.

I was very relieved. Money is tight and the last thing I needed was a repair bill. :bow:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts