Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, hope everyone is having a nice summer so far.

I took the car out the other day for a short but easy trip down the road to drop off a package. It made it all the way out and back, but when I was getting ready to park the car on the curb I got a coolant level warning light on the dash.

I remembered that the level was *slightly* low the last time I was servicing the car, but it didn't strike me as being that odd at the time. When I pulled the hood up this time the level was about an inch below the minimum line on the tank.

I checked underneath - no trails and no drips or leaks that I could see anywhere on the car. The only other thought I had was a head gasket failure, but from owning a TT I know that head gasket failures aren't exactly a common occurrence on the 1.8T motor, especially since this one has never overheated a single time.

I also noticed this time that there seems to be some white sediment/calcification buildup at the bottom of the expansion tank. I find this a little odd as we have never added water to the system and the last time it was drained was likely the timing belt service about 35k miles ago. The coolant is also perfectly pink and still clear. Could this buildup be the reason the car's heat is absolutely awful in the winter? Could this stuff be sitting in the heater core blocking the flow of coolant?

Any ideas and suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
250 Posts
That white build up on the expansion tank might be the cause of a crack in the tank itself. Make sure you check the tank for leaks. If the build up is on the outside that is. If your coolant color is pink on the inside then you might have a slow drip from the expansion tank. Happened to me 4 times in 6 years now. AZ weather 110 degrees constant in the summer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts