Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home and i got a sensor light ive never seen before(at least its not an o2 sensor cel!!!!!!again )about a mile or two from the house today. ,so i drove on to my indi mech.appx.1mile from house and he looked at it before i even found it in the manual, he mentioned it was a low brake pad warning light,so my next questions are i didnt hear or feel anything different ,and i use the tip trans whenever i can but in the 40,000 miles my wife and then me driving it i guess its due,.probably wasnt checked at inspection ,........so is there any possible caliper damage from waiting till i saw the light ,or is it usually just pads and rotors replacement at that point,and how much can it be driven untill i gets an in for appt.at the shop with pbr dustless pads installed this time ..........thanks in advance

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
the low brake pad warning gives you plenty of time to change out the pad. if the light just came on, then you should be fine if you change them within a few hundred miles (most likely more too). there shouldn't be any caliper damage.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
The life of brake pads varies quite a bit with driving style and the kind of commute.
Oh and don't use the tip to slow down to a stop. You know brake pads are quite cheap compared to a new transmission.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
That light is pretty much useless anyway, for two reasons:

1. It only measures the thickness of one pad, meaning that if you have a stuck caliper then the un-monitored pad could be ground down to the metal backing and the light won't come on.

2. You have to be absolutely comatose to not notice the rapid increase in pedal feedback that happens in the last few days of your brakes' lifespan. Mine started shuddering and squealing and on certain occasions even felt like the ABS kicked in. (as it turns out, I had a stuck caliper and one pad was literally paper-thin by the time I changed it, but there was no rotor damage!)

Those brake pad sensors are just another example of Euro carmakers taking reliable systems and overcomplicating them to get that last 1/10% of performance out of them. Japanese cars have done fine with screech clips that drag on the rotor when the pads get too thin, and even better they can put a clip on each pad, not just on a single pad per rotor.

If VAG really wants to have an electronic monitor, then what the system REALLY needs is a PISTON EXTENSION SENSOR that will flick the light on when the caliper piston extends to a point that no pad/rotor combo that was safe to begin with can possibly have much thickness left.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
x2. It doesn't do anything bad to the transmission or the engine (within reasonable limits).
i knew that..............thats why im still gonna use the tip,thats why the VW gods invented it for!!!!!!!!!!!!!and thanks for all the other replies also

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
The rears on my 2003 4Motion needed to be done at 40k - they told me the fronts were probably goods for another 20k. I did all 4 rotors and pads at one time.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
make sure to change your pads with PBR pads..im going to :) No brake dust for life!
and give up cleaning my alloy wheels,what would i do with the spare time , i know ,......clean my other alloys on my other passat,untill that ones due for pbr pads,in the meantime.............

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have a '99 V6, and when I go over speed bumps and the like I get three beeps and the brake cel goes off. This is the same issue correct? My rear brakes are almost done so I suppose I do have the pads with sensors. Is there a way to tell via the VIN or something? (I'm thinking of getting the PBR Axxis Metal Masters and the Brembo slotted rotors.)

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
I have a '99 V6, and when I go over speed bumps and the like I get three beeps and the brake cel goes off. This is the same issue correct? My rear brakes are almost done so I suppose I do have the pads with sensors. Is there a way to tell via the VIN or something? (I'm thinking of getting the PBR Axxis Metal Masters and the Brembo slotted rotors.)
That sounds more like an ABS issue.

I have my low pad warning wires cut and spliced together. The warning is pretty useless and the wires are so thin that over time they often break anyway. Unlike other cars, damage to the rotors is immaterial because our rotors cannot be turned at the end of a wear cycle without virtually guaranteeing warpage and poor performance.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
The bright red "BRAKE" light is the brake trouble light. The pad sensor light is different. (I think it is a picture of a brake drum w/ pads). If the "BRAKE" light is blinking when you go over bumps, you are probably a little low on fluid.

If the ABS light is blinking, that is something a little different. Maybe a loose axle speed sensor?

SirWired

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no,...........just a constant lighted circle with 3 curved bars around each side,no beep at all ....lights in center display readout above temp readout

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The bright red "BRAKE" light is the brake trouble light. The pad sensor light is different. (I think it is a picture of a brake drum w/ pads). If the "BRAKE" light is blinking when you go over bumps, you are probably a little low on fluid.

If the ABS light is blinking, that is something a little different. Maybe a loose axle speed sensor?

SirWired
yes, nothing flashing,nothing beeping ,..........thats what it is,the brake pads on outside of circle lit up icon

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
also where is this brake pad sensor located,front or rear wheel?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Front, also make sure you get the right shape connector, some are square, some round.
ill leave that up yo my indi import mech,when it comes to something like brakes id rather have a profesional that has had experience in this area

·
Registered
547 Posts

SirWired

Yea, its the "BRAKE" light when I go over bumps and get some left to right jiggling of the car.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts