Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 7 Posts

· Registered
891 Posts
Many things.

If this is the Monsoon system, if the tweeters on the left still work, then the head unit (radio), and the wiring from HU to amplifier are OK. That leaves:
-amplifier (not common)
-wiring (happens; typical break point is in the flexible section from door to hinge post)
-speakers (most likely, due to age.)

· Registered
891 Posts
Meant to post this earlier:
Assuming that the speakers are dead (which they probably are), an Alpine SPS-610C is the closest thing to a drop-in replacement as you're going to get.
You'll need the adapters that Scosche makes for the bass speakers (speakers will NOT fit without them), and a little modification is needed:
- remove low-pass filters from bass speakers
- throw high-pass filters for tweeters in the garbage
- disassemble tweeters from their mounts, and glue into original mounts. Minor grinding of the factory mount is necessary, and urethane (windshield glue) works best to install the new speakers.

For $130/pair, it's money well spent.

Go hit Crutchfield, plug in your car, and find the speakers. They'll throw in the extras, no extra $$.

· Registered
891 Posts
Yep - that's exactly what I'm saying. They aren't needed here, as the amp itself contains the crossovers.

Alternately, you could hunt down (read: classifieds, eBay) used original speakers. But, I shouldn't need to tell you how much of a crapshoot 15+-year-old speakers are.....

I'd still recommend the Alpine component set that I used. It did make a considerable difference in sound quality in my car.

1 - 3 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.