Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In time of crisis, Blanco chose politics over good government at the expense of her people.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/03/AR2005090301680.html
Behind the scenes, a power struggle emerged, as federal officials tried to wrest authority from Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco (D). Shortly before midnight Friday, the Bush administration sent her a proposed legal memorandum asking her to request a federal takeover of the evacuation of New Orleans, a source within the state's emergency operations center said Saturday.
[...]
Blanco made two moves Saturday that protected her independence from the federal government: She created a philanthropic fund for the state's victims and hired James Lee Witt, Federal Emergency Management Agency director in the Clinton administration, to advise her on the relief effort.
[...]
Louisiana did not reach out to a multi-state mutual aid compact for assistance until Wednesday, three state and federal officials said. As of Saturday, Blanco still had not declared a state of emergency, the senior Bush official said
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...ER/08/28/hurricane.katrina/?section=cnn_topst
Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco said that President Bush had called and urged the state to order the evacuation.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/03/AR2005090301680_2.html
State officials had planned to turn to neighboring states for help with troops, transportation and equipment in a major hurricane. But in Katrina's case, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida were also overwhelmed, said Denise Bottcher, a Blanco spokesman

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
So you found your subject to blame after all? Somehow I expected it might be a (D) :lol: I just can't wait until Indecision 2008, when we'll be hearing how the swift action of our Republican leaders saved us all, over and over and over and over and over and over again.

P.S., please define "good government" in a context that includes giving full control of state resources to the feds

Spin away..

·
Registered
339 Posts
I can respect the Governors will to keep herself in control of her State and it's troubles. I am a pretty firm believer in a Federalist system. The problem is, she didn't take control of the sitaution, either before the storm hit, or in the aftermath. Then, she cried for help and both she and the Mayor of New Orleans started blaming the fereral government for a problem they knew about for years. People in glas houses shouldn't throw stones.

I don't know if she's a (D) or not. To be honest, I never bothered to look. The fact that she's a woman might explain why she didn't want any help from the big bad man :D

Macabre,

Kalifornia has had a great deal of distaters over the years to deal with. My bet is that if this would have happened there, it woud have been dealt with better. Not because Arnold is the top dog, but becasue the agencies themselves have worked out many of the systems that they'd need to get the job done. Something that doesn't happen in most states.

Chris...

·
Registered
752 Posts
Yep, but I live in Cali and the big lesson here is just what the top disaster people have said over the years:

"For the first 3 days, you are on your own."

Get prepared accordingly folks.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Macabre said:
So you found your subject to blame after all? Somehow I expected it might be a (D) :lol: I just can't wait until Indecision 2008, when we'll be hearing how the swift action of our Republican leaders saved us all, over and over and over and over and over and over again.

P.S., please define "good government" in a context that includes giving full control of state resources to the feds

Spin away..
This is rich ... coming from someone who thinks Katrina is just an over hyped natural catastrophy from the medias just to sell newspaper. But you are right, there will be plenty of blame to go around from top down.

Mean while, better late than never I supposed ...

http://www.gov.state.la.us/Press_Release_detail.asp?id=991

Press Release
Date: 9/1/2005

Contact: Denise Bottcher or Roderick Hawkins at 225-342-9037

Governor Blanco Announces Executive Order

Baton Rouge, LA— Governor Blanco today announced the following Executive Order:

Executive Order NO. KBB 2005- 31- provides that pursuant to the Louisiana Homeland Security and Emergency Assistance and Disaster Act, R.S. 29:721, et seq., grants emergency powers to the governor, where, she has in consultation with school superintendents, utilized public school buses for transportation of Hurricane Katrina evacuees. As you are aware most public school districts will not begin school until Tuesday, September 6th 2005.

The full text of the above mentioned proclamation is available on the Internet at www.gov.state.la.us.

:p

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Agreed, they should have let everyone know when the school would begin months ago! :hmmm: Somehow I suspect you're flailing for some other point with that quote, though. Perhaps you think they should have mobilized busses while the storm was still in the area.. Do they use amphibious school busses in Louisiana?

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol ... when I saw that pchop of the school buses pic in (D) and Blanco's Executive Order, I couldn't pass up the op. ;)

But the point is, these buses could have been mobilized to higher ground (around the dome or the convention ctr.). It appeared that there were lack of planning at the local level.

·
Registered
482 Posts
ah yes, again Louisiana's government flourishes...while it may be a first in the face of disaster, is certainly isn't a first...regardless of (D) or not...

·
Registered
278 Posts
You forgot to add the Post's correction the next day:

A Sept. 4 article on the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina incorrectly said that Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco (D) had not declared a state of emergency. She declared an emergency on Aug. 26.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/04/AR2005090401255.html?sub=AR

It's nice to see a "senior administration official" spreading misinformation actually get called on it by the press for a change.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
raven said:
You forgot to add the Post's correction the next day:

A Sept. 4 article on the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina incorrectly said that Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco (D) had not declared a state of emergency. She declared an emergency on Aug. 26.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/04/AR2005090401255.html?sub=AR

It's nice to see a "senior administration official" spreading misinformation actually get called on it by the press for a change.
Explain this then:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-08-28-katrina-washington_x.htm
President Bush, as he readied the federal government for a massive relief effort, on Sunday urged people in the path of Hurricane Katrina to forget anything but their safety and move to higher ground as instructed...
...Such declarations make federal aid available to assist with disaster relief, but they are rarely made before a storm even hits.

Working from his Texas ranch, Bush participated via videoconference in a large meeting of federal, state and local disaster management officials preparing for the storm's onslaught. Separately, he spoke by phone with the governors of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/28/hurricane.katrina/
"President Bush announced Sunday that he had issued disaster declarations for Louisiana, Mississippi and parts of southern Florida. The declaration for Miami-Dade and Broward counties in Florida will allow residents there to apply for federal disaster aid.

"We'll do everything in our power to help the people and communities affected by this storm," he said.

The president urged anyone in the storm's path "to put their own safety and the safety of their families first by moving to safe ground."
Also explain how the Feds are responsible for directing people to specific shelters and maintaining order in those shelters. Local officials did not arrange for supplies in those pre-determined locations nor did they arrange security...not to metion they apparently did not have a comm. plan. This is largely the result of poor planning at the local level.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
raven said:
What do you want me to explain? I was simply posting that the article this thread (and its title) is based on was wrong, and that a correction was issued by the Post the next day.
The title of this thread may or may not be inaccurate. The article is not wrong. The Post may've listed the actual date of declaration incorrectly but the basic premise of the article is still correct and the action (or inaction) of local officials leaves much to be explained.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I posted this in another thread but I'll put it here too as it is relevant to the discussion.

The federal government (FEMA) will not (and can not) act on an emergency until the local government (usually the county) and then the state exhaust their resources (or show that they will exhaust their resources as would obviously happen here) and request aid through the governor.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
The federal government (FEMA) will not (and can not) act on an emergency until the local government (usually the county) and then the state exhaust their resources (or show that they will exhaust their resources as would obviously happen here) and request aid through the governor.
And this request was made, as has been referenced in multiple threads, on the 28th..

·
Registered
339 Posts
Macabre said:
And this request was made, as has been referenced in multiple threads, on the 28th..

And again, referenced in the request was funding, not personnel. FEMA has no first responders, and they are not a first response agency.

Chris...

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Let me spell it out for you. Read.

http://www.fema.gov/library/stafact.shtm#sec401
§ 5191. PROCEDURE FOR DECLARATION {Sec. 501}

a. Request and declaration

All requests for a declaration by the President that an emergency exists shall be made by the Governor of the affected State. Such a request shall be based on a finding that the situation is of such severity and magnitude that effective response is beyond the capabilities of the State and the affected local governments and that Federal assistance is necessary. As a part of such request, and as a prerequisite to emergency assistance under this Act, the Governor shall take appropriate action under State law and direct execution of the State's emergency plan. The Governor shall furnish information describing the State and local efforts and resources which have been or will be used to alleviate the emergency, and will define the type and extent of Federal aid required. Based upon such Governor's request, the President may declare that an emergency exists.

b. Certain emergencies involving Federal primary responsibility

The President may exercise any authority vested in him by section 502 or section 503 [42 U.S.C. § 5192 or § 5193] with respect to an emergency when he determines that an emergency exists for which the primary responsibility for response rests with the United States because the emergency involves a subject area for which, under the Constitution or laws of the United States, the United States exercises exclusive or preeminent responsibility and authority. In determining whether or not such an emergency exists, the President shall consult the Governor of any affected State, if practicable. The President's determination may be made without regard to subsection (a).
(Pub. L. 93-288, title V, § 501, as added Pub. L. 100-707, title I, § 107(a), Nov. 23, 1988, 102 Stat. 4706.)

§ 5170a. GENERAL FEDERAL ASSISTANCE {Sec. 402}

In any major disaster, the President may--

direct any Federal agency, with or without reimbursement, to utilize its authorities and the resources granted to it under Federal law (including personnel, equipment, supplies, facilities, and managerial, technical, and advisory services) in support of State and local assistance efforts;

coordinate all disaster relief assistance (including voluntary assistance) provided by Federal agencies, private organizations, and State and local governments;

provide technical and advisory assistance to affected State and local governments for--
the performance of essential community services;
issuance of warnings of risks and hazards;
public health and safety information, including dissemination of such information;
provision of health and safety measures; and
management, control, and reduction of immediate threats to public health and safety; and

assist State and local governments in the distribution of medicine, food, and other consumable supplies, and emergency assistance.
(Pub. L. 93-288, title IV, § 402, as added Pub. L. 100-707, title I, § 106(a)(3), Nov. 23, 1988, 102 Stat. 4696.)
http://www.gov.state.la.us/Press_Release_detail.asp?id=976
August 27, 2005
Dear Mr. President:

Under the provisions of Section 501 (a) of the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act, 42 U.S.C. §§ 5121-5206 (Stafford Act), and implemented by 44 CFR § 206.35, I request that you declare an emergency for the State of Louisiana due to Hurricane Katrina for the time period beginning August 26, 2005, and continuing. The affected areas are all the southeastern parishes including the New Orleans Metropolitan area and the mid state Interstate I-49 corridor and northern parishes along the I-20 corridor that are accepting the thousands of citizens evacuating from the areas expecting to be flooded as a result of Hurricane Katrina.

In response to the situation I have taken appropriate action under State law and directed the execution of the State Emergency Plan on August 26, 2005 in accordance with Section 501 (a) of the Stafford Act. A State of Emergency has been issued for the State in order to support the evacuations of the coastal areas in accordance with our State Evacuation Plan and the remainder of the state to support the State Special Needs and Sheltering Plan.

Pursuant to 44 CFR § 206.35, I have determined that this incident is of such severity and magnitude that effective response is beyond the capabilities of the State and affected local governments, and that supplementary Federal assistance is necessary to save lives, protect property, public health, and safety, or to lessen or avert the threat of a disaster. I am specifically requesting emergency protective measures, direct Federal Assistance, Individual and Household Program (IHP) assistance, Special Needs Program assistance, and debris removal.
Why am I still wasting my time with you is a better question. I do not expect an intelligent response, no doubt you'll continue to insist that the Governor never really requested support from the federal government, and that FEMA could do nothing. Maybe you can tell me again about sending the Army into the states, for old times' sake.

·
6th Grade
14,917 Posts
But....but.....the voices in the magic talkie box from planet "Fox" said that it is all the the mayor and poor *******' fault!

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sharky said:
But....but.....the voices in the magic talkie box from planet "Fox" said that it is all the the mayor and poor *******' fault!
Interesting ... source?

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sharky said:
Listening to Fox and Friends this morning on the way to work via XM, for one.
I've always wanted XM, that's nice ... source?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts