Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi: I have a 2001 B5 GLX. Last night I noticed that the brakes screech in reverse only. Metal on metal screeching noise...and in reverse only. the brakes may have been making this noise for longer, but I only noticed it last night. I believe it's coming from one of the front wheels, but I'm not sure. I haven't had enough time to check it out yet. I've never had any problems with the brakes before and have done no work to them in the year I've owned the vehicle. The brakes appear to be operating normally too.

Any ideas what might be causing this? If the pads were worn, wouldn't I be getting the noise in forward and reverse? I drive over road construction everyday, so maybe there is some grit in there. But, again, wouldn't the noise happen in forward and reverse? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
I dunno if this helps, but I'll get a loud screech on occasion while backing if the discs have been wet and have formed rust. I had this happen while showing my new ride to a good friend and his wife. My wife and his look horrified; my buddy covered it and said his Saab does the same thing under the same circumstances.

Let's get a few more facts:

1) How many miles on the car?
2) Have you ever changed brakes before? If so, how many miles on these pads?
3) Does it do it every time you back up, or only occasionally?
4) Any common thing when it does occur? First reverse in the morning, after rainfall, etc?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. To answer your questions:

1)71k miles on the car.
2)I have never done any work to the brakes over the year I've owned the car.
3)I've been driving my truck lately and don't have enough driving time in the Passat to know if it screeches every time I back up, or just that one time. I do know that when I was backing up and it was screeching...I stopped completely, then resumed backing up...and the noise continued.
4)I don't know about this either. I did wash the car the other day, but had driven it since the wash. So, any rust should have been ground off...unless the rust reoccured, it has been raining lately.

Cleary I don't have enough info yet on the symptoms. I'll drive it around more and, if the problem persists, will post more.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hope it wasn't the neighbor's cat... :nervous:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.