Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a few exist, but the ones I've seen look kinda sucky. Does anyone know of a good (preferably US based) Lotus forum?

Thanks!!!

Luke.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Re: Lotus (Esprit) Forum? (Paninaro)

You buying an Esprit?

I usually go to http://www.espritfactfile.com/ to look up Esprit info, they have a forum there. They also have some good FAQs/maintenance/general info pages explaining why no one in their right mind would buy an Esprit

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Lotus (Macabre)

I'm quite familiar with that site, but thanks Mac!

Esprit's appear to be the best "bang for the buck" exotic. If you compare them to late model Ferrari's, they seem like a maintenance bargain!

Luke.

PS, Porsche's don't count as exotics.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Re: Lotus (Paninaro)

I think the best bang-for-your-buck exotic is the NSX. The Esprits are really cool cars, and I'd love to drive one, just sounds like a pretty dismal ownership experience from what I've read. Good luck though, I'm sure you'll have a blast

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Well, yeah, there's the NSX. Easy ownerhip, but not as distinctive and hasn't kept with the HP wars.

Of course, this is all from what I have read too

Luke.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts

On side note, what in general is unreliable or otherwise a PITA about owning an Esprit?

Perhaps it's a bit obscure question to ask, but I'm also curious if it's just the Esprit that's unreliable, or does the current also Elise share the smae problems?

BTW- Incase you haven't heard, the new Elise is stated to come to NA in Spring'04. The specs so far are pretty tempting; 1,700 lbs, 0-60 in 4.5secs, $38,500. For better or worse, it also has an A/C and radio. It's also relatively compatible with Honda B, or K series motor swaps, so there's definetly some aftermarket potential as well. Maybe it's worth waiting and saving up for.

<![CDATA[On side note, what in general is unreliable or otherwise a PITA about owning an Esprit?

Perhaps it's a bit obscure question to ask, but I'm also curious if it's just the Esprit that's unreliable, or does the current also Elise share the smae problems?

BTW- Incase you haven't heard, the new Elise is stated to come to NA in Spring'04. The specs so far are pretty tempting; 1,700 lbs, 0-60 in 4.5secs, $38,500. For better or worse, it also has an A/C and radio. It's also relatively compatible with Honda B, or K series motor swaps, so there's definetly some aftermarket potential as well. Maybe it's worth waiting and saving up for.

[Modified by ronaldmcdonald, 12:58 PM 1/13/2003]

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Re: Lotus (ronaldmcdonald)

Go to the site I linked up and read some of the info there. I would just be repeating it. Most of it is just overall poor design where maintenance is concerned.

I heard about the Elise, and think it's a shame that it's going to be so pricey. In the UK the base Elise costs about the same as a base (217hp) WRX.. I'd love to have a new competitor in the Miata/MR2 market. Should be interesting!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Re: Lotus (Esprit) Forum? (Paninaro)

I have also wanted an Esprit for a long time and that site that Mac mentioned is one of the better ones I've found for info. I have just recenlty decided though that unless I start making alot more money, the Esprit would bankrupt me in maintenance costs.

I have also wanted a 3rd gen RX-7 ever since they came out. Although they aren't "exotic", I think they're damn sexy and can be extremely fast & agile. I think the maintenance costs and reliability would be easier to handle too so this is probably the way I'll go when I start looking for a sports car.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Re: Lotus (ronaldmcdonald)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>BTW- Incase you haven't heard, the new Elise is stated to come to NA in Spring'04. The specs so far are pretty tempting; 1,700 lbs, 0-60 in 4.5secs, $38,500. For better or worse, it also has an A/C and radio. It's also relatively compatible with Honda B, or K series motor swaps, so there's definetly some aftermarket potential as well. Maybe it's worth waiting and saving up for.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For $55k, you can get a Elise from Sun International with a B18C5 (the Integra Type R powerplant)...and it would for sure reign in the engine reliability category.
And 0-60 in 4.5? Even the B18C5 only does it in 5.1 (as tested by SCC), and it has a 50 or so horsepower advantage over the Rover engine...

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0106scc_lotus/

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Lotus (stealthx32)

The US version will have a new engine.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Re: Lotus (Paninaro)

Rumor I heard was that it might be the Celica GT-S motor... anyone know for sure where they're sourcing it?

Jinxx: Erm.. The FD RX-7 has plenty of it's own reliability issues...

·
Registered
2,468 Posts

Yeah, I've also heard that the engine will be from Toyota. I tried asking the reps at the LA auto show, and they refused to say anything. I don't mind at all if it's the GT-S motor with the turbo. I just hope it's not some heavy-ass, NA V6 from the Camry or IS300.

STEALTH- btw, at the aftermarket hall, there was this company also offering motor swaps on the Elise. Supposedly, they had an Elise Exige there (not sure if it's lighter than a regular Elise). They had a Honda K20 motor from the current JDM RSX/Integra type-R put in which dynoed at somewhere around 230hp. The car ran 3.7 secs in 0-60 iirc, w/ slicks.

Nontheless, if you can put in any B or K series motor in there, imagine installing some tricked out B18c, or CRVtec engine w/ ITB's, race cams, ported heads, and other hi-po parts making up to 280hp NA, or even 400hp turbo'ed. That should make up for a fun power-weight ratio in a 1,700lb roadster.

·
Registered
506 Posts

MAc: Hehe, I know with the bazillion vacuum hoses among other things that the RX-7 is no "gas & go" reliable vehicle but I figure it will be cheaper to maintain/fix. Whichever I get will be driven alot so I think of the two I'd rather take my chances with the RX-7. This is all just fantasy for me right now since I'm just scraping by money wise...so who knows, I may end up getting a 944

1 - 14 of 14 Posts