Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I have driven one, but I did get to flog a Celica GT-S yesterday. I had not driven one before, and I must say that motor is pretty sweet. I had wanted to because I knew this same engine would be coming in the new Elise. I have seen one in person, but it was Euro-spec.

I get just giddy thinking about that same motor in a 1900 lb (+/-) car, and put in the middle. Man, oh man.... :) I think it will get 38mpg, too...

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
A lot of guys weren't happy to hear about Lotus picking that motor to go into the federal Elise. Those that have driven the federal Elise mules have praised the responsiveness on the Toyota unit. Lotus has put their own ECU on the motors to bump HP and change the torque curve.

I was lucky to drive a left hand drive, euro spec Elise last year with the Rover engine. Very nice experience. Needless to say, I put down a deposit after my drive was over. I'm in the 30's on the wait list in Houston.

I should have mine before the year is over (knock on wood).

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=3

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Johnny B5.5 said:
First year production is already spoken for. If you put a deposit down at a dealer, you should get a car in '05.
What? Is that true? I guess they won't have demo's to "try out" then... Shoot.

You're a lucky dude. That car is going to be some kind of fun.

Do you have any idea of arrival date for yours?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Holicow said:
Johnny B5.5 said:
First year production is already spoken for. If you put a deposit down at a dealer, you should get a car in '05.
What? Is that true? I guess they won't have demo's to "try out" then... Shoot.

You're a lucky dude. That car is going to be some kind of fun.

Do you have any idea of arrival date for yours?
I'm guessing that I'll have my Elise between Sept and Dec. I'm pretty patient, as long as I get mine this year, I'll be happy.

My concern is that they'll raise the price because the Pound - Dollar exchange rate has gotten so far out of hand. I should get mine before any price increases.

I am looking forward to owning a race car with a license plate.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I just hope the dealers are willing to sell at msrp. I'm not at all suprised the Elise is such a hot seller. It's prob the most raw road legal sports car out there and is somewaht of a niche car.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
l5gcw0b said:
My friend has been told to expect a spring/summer delivery.
Depends on where he is in line with his dealer, the dealer's allocation from Lotus and whether or not Lotus meets the target date of April '03 for the first shipment.

Most of us are expecting the first shipment in the May/June time frame.

I'm hoping to see some of the cars in the flesh before finalizing my color choice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts