Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
I finally got most of the parts for my CarPC and now it's time to get some cables through!
My plan is to have the unit in the trunk because I can't fit it anywhere else in my b5.5.
Can You guys tell me what is the best way to get in to the trunk without exposing any cables? I'm all fine from the dash up to the center console (armrest) but the worst part for me is to pass to the trunk. Can I run cables under the carpet anyhow?
I planned to run:
- 4x(4/20AWG) cables
- 3x USB cables
- 1x (2/14AWG) cables
- 1x VGA
- 1x mono RCA (backup camera)
- 2x stereo RCA (audio signal from PC)
I'm going to install a little amplifier in the dash behind the screen, so I got that powered of the existing wire harness and I need only the 2xRCA's for audio.
Please help me before I start stripping my car apart.
I'm pretty good with soldering so I sure could cut the connectors off and solder them back on if necessary, I only worry about that breaking the insulation could let noise through in to the signals.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Pull the seat bottoms out of the rear, run the wires from the center console under the carpet. Follow along up the floor board to whrer the seat mounts and oass under backrests to trunk. Sounds more difficult than it is really.

with that many wires though, I would run a conduit under the car on the exterior. You might see a hump in the carpet.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
Just in case you aren't aware, there is a length limit of about 16 feet for USB 2.0 and about 10 feet for 3.0. So plan those runs with limits in mind.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
You might consider running along the sides, versus the center, of the car where VW has most of the wiring going from the front to the rear of the car. You can remove the rocker panel trim and utilize the same route as other wiring into the trunk.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You might consider running along the sides, versus the center, of the car where VW has most of the wiring going from the front to the rear of the car. You can remove the rocker panel trim and utilize the same route as other wiring into the trunk.
I like this idea, but is there any neat way of getting the cables from the panels in to the trunk? I just don't want to expose any cables. Is there room on both sides? My driver's side backseat (the 1/3) doesn't fold, because of the lock issue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm pretty good with running a conduit since I'm an electrician. But naaah, I'll stick with the idea of running cables inside.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
I like this idea, but is there any neat way of getting the cables from the panels in to the trunk? I just don't want to expose any cables. Is there room on both sides? My driver's side backseat (the 1/3) doesn't fold, because of the lock issue.
There is room on either side all the way to the trunk. You can remove the entire seat back portion by removing a T30 Torx screw from between the two seat backs. Then if you remove the side bolsters you'll be able to easily route any wiring into the trunk. What kind of lock issue are you experiencing?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The drivers side part of back seat doesn't open. I tried pulling on the handle, turning the key back and forward, pressing the seat to make sure it "clicked fully", pulling the seat and playing around with the handle. Nothing opened it.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
The lock itself is probably still functional, just the handle and release mechanism are probably faulty. If you open the trunk and look up at the top corners where the lock mechanism is, you can stick a flat bladed screwdriver into the mechanism and push/pry the lock open and then be able to fold the seat back down. I have done it myself when I needed access to my Passat. Just fold the other side down and use it for a reference to know where to apply pressure with the screwdriver.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Which seat? Front or back? I already ran most of the cables back to the trunk along sides and it worked out great. Tomorrow after work I'll run the remaining cables on the passengers side. I still have some room left on the driver's side but may not be enough to run everything.
At least everything clicked back in place with no fight sweat and broken clips.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Front seats, probably passenger side is easiest. You can put it in the trunk just fine of course I was just saying for sake of USB length lol. It's pretty easy to run cables though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I want to keep the seats fully moveable, me and my girlfriend usually have them low so I'd rather keep the unit in the trunk. However, I think it'd be better for the heat purpose to keep it in the cabin rather than in the trunk. I still will give it a shot in the trunk.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The interface for now is just a lilliput screen mounted in an MKIV double Din bracket. I planned to run a centrafuse on a win7. I believe that I have a 64GB SSD, 8GB RAM, core i5 processor, wi-fi PCI card, usb GPS, usb bluetooth and pretty much it for now. The only thing I don't like about this setup is my double din bracket which looks a little cheesy with the screen. I want something that would mount the screen flush, not an 1/8" deep in the bracket. ImageUploadedByAG Free1406023537.578675.jpg

1 - 20 of 36 Posts