Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Called my dealer to get a quote to replace my transmission oil. It went like this.

Me. Good morning, I'm looking to get a price on having the oil changed in the transmission of my 2000 Passat.

Vw. It's not recommend at your mileage.

Me. Would you like some info on the car?

Vw. Sure, how many miles?

Me. 220,000.

Vw. It's not recommended at your mileage. It will do more harm then good.

Me. What if I put out there, since no one asked, that it's a manual trans?

Vw. Oh well that's different.

Me. My service number is *****. I'm in the system. Anything else you don't want to ask me?

Vw. I would like to apologize, most of our customers don't know what they have much less have the dealer service a 15 year old car. Can I look up the service record, build an estimate and call you back?

Me. Absolutely.

You would think they would find out what you have before they told you no. I don't want to deal with changing out the factory oil and trying to level everything, and the special tools. I've done a lot of diy on this car, timing belt, steering rack, all that. I'm not looking forward to trans flush too. It kind of whines at the upper rpms from the trans so I think it may be low.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Wow, that's a weird one. I'd say they are correct in that the vast majority of VW owners ditch the dealer after warranty expires...perhaps his initial attitude explains that?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its a 2000 v6 manual. They just called me with a quote. $255. Whoh buddy! Looks like I'm doing it myself.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,404 Posts
its a 2000 v6 manual. They just called me with a quote. $255. Whoh buddy! Looks like I'm doing it myself.
I have a new filter and pan gasket. You can come and pick them up for half of what I paid if you like. I'm in Dearborn.

It's not a hard job. Only oil messy. And definitely get a good quality Torxbit.

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,164 Posts
I have a new filter and pan gasket. You can come and pick them up for half of what I paid if you like. I'm in Dearborn.

It's not a hard job. Only oil messy. And definitely get a good quality Torxbit.
OP has a manual.

Easier than an engine oil change.

Just get the special Metalnerd tool; germanautoparts has them.

Remove the fill plug first, then the drain. Keep the pan under the car and let it drip for a good long time.

Jack it back up a bit and reinstall the drain plug. Not gorilla tight.

Get a length of clear plastic tubing and insert the end into the fill plug. The other end should go up and foward so you can grab it from the engine compartment.

Use good gear lube, GL-4 (NOT 5!!) and put the first few quarts in.

When you get to the last, lower the car onto all four wheels and add oil till it starts to leak out.

Reinstall the fill plug, and you're done.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most Indies here refuse to work on vw. Apparently they are "difficult". I get my parts at the dealer more often then not. They compete with the parts stores for pricing.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Don't loose too much confidence. It has been my experience over the past few decades that most (not all) dealership service writers are not nearly as knowledgeable as they think they are. Ok, most are complete Idiots! IMHO.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't loose too much confidence. It has been my experience over the past few decades that most (not all) dealership service writers are not nearly as knowledgeable as they think they are. Ok, most are complete Idiots! IMHO.
LOL, this may be the case!

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Rather think this instance of "dealership presumption" was nothing more than a case of "...but all VWs have automatic transmissions, don't they? :O

Well Virginia, after the 2015 model year they will. :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow I thought the service adviser was crazy when I called last week to inquire about a drain and refill for my tiptronic with 191000 on it and he told me to leave it alone.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My dealer charged me $95 to do a manual trans gear oil change back in 2010 (@100K miles). I can't imagine the price going up 150% in 5 years.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts