Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1.8T 5spd B5.5. Got the timing belt changed about 15,000 miles ago, now at about 97k.

I've experienced sudden loss of power when driving on one occasion, with loss of performance which I feel is particularly prominent at low gears. CEL light has been intermittently on. Took the car to the mechanic, and they noted that it had thrown three codes:

P1128 FUEL TRIM TOO LEAN
P0343 CAM POSITION SENSOR
P0011 VARIABLE VALVE TIMING OVER ADVANCED

They said they cleared the codes, and that the code didn't reappear immediately. They're suggesting an ~ $1300 repair to fix it, essentially replacing the variable valve timing system. Is this correct? Is there something else to check?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Timing belt was done at an independent VW shop. Since then, have moved to Detroit. Could the timing belt have been incorrectly adjusted? That's kind of what i'm worried about.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
P1128 FUEL TRIM TOO LEAN
P0343 CAM POSITION SENSOR
P0011 VARIABLE VALVE TIMING OVER ADVANCED

They're suggesting an ~ $1300 repair to fix it, essentially replacing the variable valve timing system.
I don't know if the P0011 could be due to a timing belt that was either installed off by a tooth, or the tensioner or some other reason caused it to jump.

But, it could certainly come from the VVT not working properly, and some reasons for this are purely mechanical failures, like worn plastic pads (might happen if there are oil starvation issues, or related lack of maintenance). Some other part of the VVT system could also be at fault.

BTW, did you ever have any oil loss around the valve cover gasket (due to a clogged PCV system perhaps)? If you had work done for that then the valve cover got opened to fix the leak. Normally, they don't go into the valve cover in a timing belt job.

Is there something else to check?
Set the crankshaft pulley to TDC and see if the cam sprocket also points at TDC. That would tell you if the timing belt is installed properly. Do you know if they only scanned for codes, or did you leave it with them to troubleshoot? They wouldn't open the valve cover to verify that's where the problem is, but they might have checked the timing marks to rule out the TB. You might want to ask them that just to rule out the possibility of fixing something that is not broken.

All that said, it's a cheap fix to change the cam position sensor, but it might not be the culprit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts