Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I asked about a "STOP: Check Coolant" message on the OBC. I added coolant and the message disappeared, so that was simple enough. Now it appears I'm losing coolant somewhere. The reservoir is already quite a bit lower than when I refilled it the other day. I've never seen any on the ground around my car however I occassionally can smell antifreeze when I get out of the car. Just a quick whiff then it's gone. Any ideas? I'm guessing whatever it is pretty bad.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
check the oil cooler... the chunk of metal the oil filter mounts to. There are two coolant hoses that enter/exit the cooler. A common location for leaks. Plus a hot area, so once it's out it evaporates quickly. You'll have a pink/orange/whitish sludge/powder there if it's leaking.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Hope it is simple, like the oil cooler, a hose leak, or cracked coolant tank. Sometimes heater cores leak and the coolant drips into the passenger area where you would smell it, or fog the windows. Worst case - coolant can dissappear into the crank case or out the exhaust. May want to check your oil for signs of color change and moisture. Also look for a steam cloud out back when accelerating.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Check for any weapage from your water pump. If there is, you'll see it as dried up pink stuff on your belley pan or even coolant stalagtites from the weap hole.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Has the problem worsened recently?

What year is your car and how many miles do you have on your car? If it's around 70k miles or exceeding these digits, your water pump might be gone or prematurely gone.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
i had something similar. I didnt get any STOP coolant or anything warnings, but I would smell coolant, and I checked it was down about half an inch...this would last for a week and I would refill. after 2 months of this it has all a sudden stopped leaking??..weird, but maybe just the sludge built up around the leak that it now stop itself????

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found the pinkish powder y'all were referring to. It's located underneath the engine near the firewall, but not inside the car. I'm assuming that's still the heater core. It looks like something the stealership will have to do. I still have 15,000 miles to go ona third party warranty. Hopefully it will be covered.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
The heater core is buried deep inside the dash. Maybe the hoses headed to the heater core? (Pictues would help.) You are actually quite lucky, because if it was the heater core, the shop would have to remove the dash to change it. *rattle* *rattle*

SirWired

·
Lisa Simpson
15,044 Posts
You don't say which engine you have, but I had a similar experience with my 1.8t. The main coolant T on the head started to leak and I ended up with drips everywhere all over my tranny and such. One of the Orings went bad, took me about an hour to replace them all and bolt the thing back up. Good to go now, after ~$10 in parts. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had a similar problem with my TDI110. In the garage, they couldn't find the leak. They even told me that it's probably the engine that is dying (it's now 260.000 km).

One told me to let it like this until the leak is big enough to be found easier, but instead of leaking more and more, it leaked less and less, and now the leak is gone and i did nothing!!! :???:

I'm eager to know what happened.

·
Registered
151 Posts
kenoli22 said:
I found the pinkish powder y'all were referring to. It's located underneath the engine near the firewall, but not inside the car. I'm assuming that's still the heater core. It looks like something the stealership will have to do. I still have 15,000 miles to go ona third party warranty. Hopefully it will be covered.
Also check the coolant temperature sensor. If you have had it replaced recently, maybe it is not seated all the way in. I had that happen to me when I replaced mine. Not seated all the way on one side and leaked out onto the bellypan and stayed there (not on the driveway). One side of the clip was stressed so I made sure it was seated all the way and put a new clip on it. No leaks since.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the info. I took it into the dealer and they said it's a bad o-ring on the temperature sensor. Charging me $90 which doesn't seem to horrible. I don't think it's something I could get to, plus I'm not the handiest person in the world.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
10 Participants
kenoli22
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing