Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some suggestions on the health and fitness front. First thing, I went out and bought a box of "the patch" to quit smoking. I made a promise that I would quit (or at least try) by the time I turned 30, and that will be in a few days. Born on leap year day of 76, I guess that gives me a day or so leaway huh? Either way, I'm going to quit in a couple days. Tired of not being able to breathe, the smell (don't smoke in the car or house) but my clothes and hands stink. Besides, I've cut down to half of what I used to smoke so it's a start.

Anyway, I'll be moving in a couple months, to where I have no clue. I'm still exploring jobs both in and out of the area and will most likely move into an apartment somewhere. Right now I live in a house and have a decent home gym, that home is being sold in a couple months. I need to lose weight and tone, no bulking or building or anything. I just want my glorious six pack stomach and pecs back. Life has been rather crazy lately and I haven't been working out. My fault that I've put on weight and lost definition.

So my question is, how do I tone and lose weight on the cheap? Meaning, I'm going to be selling most of my gym equipment because I have no where to put it if I move into an apartment. And I don't want to join a gym for the simple reason I don't know if I'm going to be staying local or what. Not too mention I hate gyms, hate them. Mainly because I'm too self conscious. That and there is always a John Holmes lurking in the locker room. :D

What are some suggestions? Is it possible to lose weight and tone back up via healthy eating and just a few free weights?

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,619 Posts
scotty_passat said:
go jogging or buy an inexpensive bike. pushups, crunches, chin-ups, dips and a $50 kit of dumbells are all you need. Cardio is your friend here.
im with scotty here(no pun intended)
oh them hard ass pull-ups
you can tone up faster using your own body weight than with machines(my observation)
remember all that stuff you did in high school gym class?
there is the answer.
http://www.formerfatguy.com/muscle/weightgain/workout-without-a-gym.asp

·
Rollin in the LAV
1,760 Posts
Back in my speed-skating days I'd do THIS workout every day. It only takes 15-20 minutes, but it's the best ab workout I've ever tried. You'll beg for the bad-man to stop during the first week or two....it hurts so good. :D

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
scottpassat2.8 said:
im with scotty here(no pun intended)
oh them hard ass pull-ups
you can tone up faster using your own body weight than with machines(my observation)
remember all that stuff you did in high school gym class?
there is the answer.
http://www.formerfatguy.com/muscle/weightgain/workout-without-a-gym.asp
This looks really good and sensible. The only thing to be careful about is the squats, you really have to worry about your knees. Many of the exercises we learned in gym class are actually bad for your knees. Do em slow and not too deep and you'll be OK, and you'll actually do more work if you do em slow.

It won't do much good if you;re not watching your diet, and I know that's gonna be harder if you're giving up smoking. Hang in there.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so far guys. Diet is a key thing I know. I really don't have any food addictions or a sweet tooth. The hardest part of the day for me is late night, being a night owl I am usually starving hungry by 10 pm.

I quit smoking for nine months via cold turkey last time, but this time around life is a little more crazy and all the uncertainty in my life I think I'm going to really need that patch as a step down type thing. I just know that the breathing thing, the weezing any time I lie down and the sporatic chest pains have to stop.

Weird thing, I have never wanted to be a runner but lately I've been having these dreams of running, like long distance and through mountain trails and stuff. I wake up and want to run so bad, odd. Last year when I was going through anxiety and panic attack hell the only real cure to get my mind clear was to just break out of the house and run. What little I could because of being a smoker it felt great, exhilerating to move. And it relieved the panic, depression, etc....

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,983 Posts
Gimmicks aside, the plain and simple fact is that you have to burn more calories than you take in.

I, too, am looking to slim-n-tone and I've come to inevitable conclusion that cardio is the only way. I'd prefer to do muscle-building exercises (I've got a good set of weights at home) because I see results more quickly ...but I've got to hit the treadmill or sidewalk 45-60 minutes at a stretch (at least 3x per week).

Once you start seeing some results from the cardio work, incorporate weight training. It'll help to magnify the losses. (Muscle at rest burns more calories than fat at rest.)

FormerFatGuy is okay, but if you want to see something really inspirational/odd/freakish ...

http://www.johnstonefitness.com (and specifically)

http://www.johnstonefitness.com/php/t_ani_1_year.php (the first year of working out ...)

Oddly enough, this guy has started to bulk out quite a bit and in the process has lost a lot of his definition.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
I agree with the statements above. Movement is good. If you are not used to jogging you are going to have to start off by brisk walking. Challenge yourself to reach certain landmarks while jogging as you get into it more and always give yourself cool off time. It's not good to abruptly stop cardio. Stretching will keep you out of some doctor's visits also. Stick to low impact stuff. Lots of exercise can be accomplished in a pool. Barring that the route I'm going is getting elastic bands that are used for rehab (when I get off my lazy arse and do it). These are far less dangerous than using weights (if you don't know what you are doing) and the emphasis is placed on repetition. Further because it's elastic, tension increases as you work through the power stroke of whatever movement you are doing. This gives the muscle a more complete workout. Repetition will emphasize tone over bulk. More than the toning, cardio is important along with quitting smoking as both of these improve your chances of not having a heart attack.

Side note: Did you know that by six months of your quitting day, your lungs will recover something like 90+% of the function that was lost from the tar and smoke?

·
Registered
769 Posts
its moronic to suggest exercise - everyone knows u haveto be fit to go to the gym anyways. i hate exercise. i am a fan of fad lettuce diets but dont follow me because i have lost and gained back 80lbs in the past 2/3 years. which reminds me f-ing spring breaks comming up and my ann taylor suit wont zip up without lumps. hrmm

i guess just count calories and try running around?

edit PS: if you are addicted to a specific food dont listen to OPRAH! i was in Oprahs food addiction help plan last yr but my addiction buddy bailed before i could get help - or my congradulatory letter and Oprah tshirt. SO yeah shes liek " just stop hehee" ugh it did not work so dont try to even look into that - I still eat almost a lb of chocolate daily even though now i am sick of it. its a drug.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Spy - try switching to 72% or even 85%. You won't eat nearly as much and at the same time, you will drive yourself down from the craving. We eliminated milk chocolate from our house, only have the hardcore stuff now and we eat far far less of it.

Lindt is a decent brand, Valrhona if you have $$.

·
Registered
769 Posts
atomicalex said:
Spy - try switching to 72% or even 85%. You won't eat nearly as much and at the same time, you will drive yourself down from the craving. We eliminated milk chocolate from our house, only have the hardcore stuff now and we eat far far less of it.

Lindt is a decent brand, Valrhona if you have $$.
Thank AA!
i dont care for "nice candy" :thumbdown
what i constantly crave is snickers and hersheys solid plain bars.(yes i know basically sugar) ....and its not even a buying $$ thing anymore! people give me candy - like mother, sister, even dinner guests - im 22 now and i have not outgrown all those photos my parents have of me when i was 6 tackling a candy bar with gusto. Their friends that come to dinner still bring chocolates "for your daughter" :crazy:
school isnt making it easier either :banghead:

Op maybe your a stress eater like me?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I echo much of what's been said. For cheap exercise equipment, there's always a pair of running sneakers. I would consider getting a treadmill, something that will last, but it doesn't have to be outrageously expensive, and get on it at least 5 times a week. More if you can handle it. I don't like running outside, and I get a consistent workout, or push myself as necessary, even in winter time.

The way I look at it, the more I work out, the more I can eat.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
The One Eyed Spy said:
its moronic to suggest exercise - everyone knows u haveto be fit to go to the gym anyways.
JamesBondage said:
Ad Hominem
Non Sequitur
A little bandwagon fallacy sprinkled in there too.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Arthrogrian19 said:
Back in my speed-skating days I'd do THIS workout every day. It only takes 15-20 minutes, but it's the best ab workout I've ever tried. You'll beg for the bad-man to stop during the first week or two....it hurts so good. :D
Christ, I want to kill myself just after reading that...............

·
Never forgets
2,380 Posts
I bicycle to work (25 miles rt.) 2-3 days a week. Then I toss in a 40-80 miler on the weekend, to keep up my long range endurance. This allows me to eat/drink an extra 2000-4000 calories a week. Diet wise, I eat a mix of an asian diet (rice/veggies/chicken/fishballs/etc) and american diet (pizza/burgers/tacos/chicken wings/etc).

Bicycling to work in NY, is probably only practical in the warmer months. Though, I'm sure there are a few hardcore people who do it year round.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Many people won't like this opinion, but here it is...

I suggest making sure that you are "stable" in your smoke free lifestyle before dieting or changing your workout routine drastically. Take one stress on your body at a time to increase your chance for success. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts