Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys I finally got the heart to remove my stock Monsoon Head-Unit and Amp and make the jump to an Alpine HU/Changer with JL Audio Subwoofer/Amp setup. After seeing my cousin put together a new system for a 2004 R32 from CongressionalVW, I realized that the concerns I had were just hype.

I'm going to start shopping around for a Phantom Face Alpine 7998 and XM Radio unit. I also decided to remove my JL's in the doors and go with Focal 165's and have a custom box built with two JL W7's and a JL amp to push everything in the trunk! I even saw where the amp and changer can be mounted in the stock locations, which looked really clean in the R32. I estimated the whole setup will run me about $4200, so Uncle Sam better hurry with the refund.

Am I missing something guys?? Thanks...

Swami

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Flipped, the R32 was one of his customer's rides. We are currently working on a custom box for the W8 that's not going to rattle my trunk, or take up alot of space. The Passat's trunk is very large, and the stock amp and changer placements are perfect. It's going to take some planning because I want it to look clean and simple. :thumbup:

I don't want something that's going to BOOM up the joint, just clean sound.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:cry: Well it looks like Alpine is doing away with the Phantom Face Head-Units. :cry:

I'm torn between the Alpine CDA-9815 or the CDA-9835. I'm leaning towards the 9835, and I've already ordered the SWI-X module so I can keep my steering wheel controls. :D

Now I guess I'll have to install an aftermarket alarm system and darken the tint up! This is going to be an interesting summer for Swami and the W8. I have to make sure I'm tight for Waterfest this year!!!!

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Julian, I'll hit you up! Thank you bro..

I'm thinking about having a single sub push through the Pass-Through into the trunk and removing that small plastic door. 4 Motion drama!! :lol:

O.K. There's a slight component change! I'm going with all FOCAL speakers including two 13KS Subwoofer which would shrink the size of my custom box dramatically.

Check these guys out, their speakers are so tight and crush even my favorite JLAudio's. http://www.focal-america.com/

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have a single 10W7 in a sealed enclosure and it sounds awesome....a 12W7 would be PERFECT. I'm installing an EQ this week - that'll certainly tighten things up. Focals do rock....too bad they don't fit ;)

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah the Focal components fit, but you just can't use the VW brackets. I don't plan on using any of the Monsoon components, so this isn't an issue.

I think my cousin wants me to use Monster Cable, so I'll consult with the installer to get the word on what RCA Cable and Fuses they plan on using.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Removing the Monsoon and AMP?

Hey, just curious. I'm looking at installing an aftermarket deck in my 2001.5 passat, equipped with Monsoon. Should I be taking out the monsoon amp too or just hooking up the deck with a wire harness directly? Not sure if u have encountered this yet,..if anyone has any thoughts, thanks.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
The Swami said:
Yeah the Focal components fit, but you just can't use the VW brackets. I don't plan on using any of the Monsoon components, so this isn't an issue.

I think my cousin wants me to use Monster Cable, so I'll consult with the installer to get the word on what RCA Cable and Fuses they plan on using.

Don't let your cousin BS you into spending craploads of money on cables, especially the RCAs. Unless you are getting noise, and I doubt you will, the really expensive RCAs are a waste of money. All you need is a middle of the road set that is balanced (meaning the pos. and neg. conductors are the same gauge) and you'll be fine. Also, more expensive power and speaker cabling only has more strands, which does nothing but make the cable more flexible. Flexibilty is good, don't get me wrong, but don't overspend on it. Monster, IMO, has done the best marketing job I've ever seen. Is there stuff good? Sure. Any real reason to go out of your way for it? Not even a little one. Go with whatever your installer has and you'll be fine.

Paul :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts