Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '03 Variant that is on it's second set of rain gutter mouldings because the original set kept lifting at the ends. The second set is no better, I will be going back to the dealer on this , but I thought I would canvass the Club B5 Variant crowd to see if they are having the same problem, and what fixes if any have been tried and what worked. My salesman, (close friend) suggested I talk to the body shop manager to see if they may have a solution. I have to believe this problem is wide spread and that some attempted solutions have worked, besides continually pushing the moulding back in place.

TIA

Frank :)

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
I don't think they are rain gutter moldings but roof weld seam covers. Mine came up like that too after they were removed for some paint work. The shop just took them back out and put them in the sun to heat them then reshaped them and put a little black adhesive under each end .. all fixed. Watch if your going to bend them I don't think there is a flex agent in the paint and you could crack it.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Design flaw. Most I have seen do it also including mine. If you're concerned about losing them, you could squirt a dab of silicone adhesive under the end that is lifting and let it set up. Don't use too much glue, or you may never get them out again. Not that I can think of any reason why you would want to get them out, but they must be removable for some odd reason. Anyway, that should hold them down.

Cheers,

Carl III

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses, I was considering the adhesive solution, and thanks to your experiences I believe this is the solution I will impliment. I would have thought this problem would have gotten more print since it seems to be a wide spread thing, and there are many variants out there.

Cheers and thanks again,

Frank

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
I have the same issue with the molding. Last time I was in for service, the tech said they just use super glue to hold the things down. I haven't done anything about it yet, but will before winter.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I had the same problem on my sedan and was able to wedge it back in.
Looked really embarassing when it was popped out like a cowlick.

·
Registered
10 Posts
double-sided 3M tape has also been suggested as a cure. I understand superglue is water soluble and if that is right probably wouldn't provide a permanent fix. I reckon silicon is the way to go and is the way I will try to sort out the problem.

George

1 - 8 of 8 Posts