Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the southern end of Chicago land and found an indy to do the work for me on the cheap if I can find the tools. Anyone in the area willing to lend or rent me the tools?

·
Registered
528 Posts
You don't really need the exact tool or threaded stock. Like a lot of other people on here, I just went to the local hardware store (Menards in my case) and bought the closest threaded bar (imperial rather than metric). This did the job just fine....it is only supporting the front whilst it is in the 'service position'.

Dave. :)

·
Registered
28,336 Posts
Just use 2 phillips head screwdrivers.

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
X3.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
I don't even bother with that. I've found it to be much easier to do the TB job by swinging the lock carrier off to the side. It's just a disconnection of the radiator hoses and 7 or 8 electrical connectors to free up the driver's side. Takes a few more minutes up front, but you'll be able to work faster on the front of the engine by not having to work over/ under the carrier.

·
Registered
28,336 Posts
I just used the bolts that hold the bumper onto the supports.
Only the B5 bolts fit. The B5.5 bolts are larger. I don't pull the front as it takes longer and you add the problem of removing and attaching the coolant hoses (can sometimes be a PITA).

For a 1st timer or someone who likes to take their time, pulling the front makes the work easier. I just raise the car on jackstands to save my back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts