Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, so my 2002 passat wagon is the only VW i've owned but my fiancé is looking at a 1983 quantum wagon with auto transmission and a 5 cylinder motor. I contacted the guy and he said that the only issue he's had with it is stalling while driving down the road. He said you can shut the car off and turn it back on and it usually won't do it again during the trip/day. He told me he had a few shops look at it and said it was something to do with the key switch....

i'm going to be looking at it within the next couple days, so VW guru's, is there anything you guys can point me in the direction of as far as what this could possibly be other than what he is suggesting? Maybe so i can rule out other options? I have worked on numerous cars so i'm not afraid to try and trouble shoot it if i can get it for the right price. I just don't want to find some electrical gremlin...

Thanks in advance!
Brandon

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't want to sound rude but why would you buy a 31 year old car for someone you love? No airbags, abs, or stability control. Atleast get her a b5.5 model. Something safe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's probably going to need a lot of work just playing catch up on all the foregone maintenance. I would plan on spending on suspension and steering components. The stalling might be due to a bad ISV.

The Quantum was a decent vehicle, the post face lift cars (85.5 up) seemed to have better integrity. I owned an 87 QSW and really liked it. The biggest complaint I would have would be the slushbox. The 5 cylinder was never known for being a gas sipper either.

I'd probably think about something newer, especially if it's not in super great condition.

Steve

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Brandon,

Those Audis (that is an Audi under the skin) with slushbox were known to loose the seal between the automatic transmission and the final drive with the ATF and hypoind gear oil mixing up.
That is not a cheap repair!

Good luck, Peter

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi Brandon,

Those Audis (that is an Audi under the skin) with slushbox were known to loose the seal between the automatic transmission and the final drive with the ATF and hypoind gear oil mixing up.
That is not a cheap repair!

Good luck, Peter
Especially, the 4WD "SYNCRO" is, in fact, a "QUATTRO"!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts