Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to install HIDs in my car (B5.5 2001.5) and am looking to just get something as close to plug and play as possible. I don't want to switch out the headlight assembly so if anyone can suggest the best and easiest way to do this I would be grateful. I'm looking for something that is completely legal here in VA as well, no blue light tint, straight white color, etc.

I would very much appreciate all your opinions on what I should get.

Thanks.

·
Registered
428 Posts
No aftermarket hid is legal. Fyi. Ddm tuning is cheaper price wise. The retrofit source is better quality. Trust me go 35w on factory headlights. 4500k or 5000k is close to factory/white. But the factory projectors arent made for hid so there will be so much glare.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,159 Posts
The standard B5.5 projector headlights indeed are not really made for HID, but a lot of people report the problems with the beam pattern aren't that bad. Most factory HID's are about 4300K, so the closer to that you can get, the better.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what do you recommend for projectors? And can you provide links for me to the sites where I can buy kits?

·
Registered
77 Posts
DDM Tuning x2. Also, get a relay kit. I've got 35w 5000k HIDs in my stock halogen projectors :whistle: It's an incredible upgrade from the regular halogen H7 bulbs.

The only projectors that I would ever put on my :b55: (other than the stock ones) would be the W8 OEM HIDs. Everything else looks strangely like garbage IMHO.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about all the options that are on DDM Tuning? HID Harness, Error Eliminator, Adaptor Cables, Mounting Brackets...do I need these, are they recommended, or are they not important?

And what is a relay kit? I'm a complete noob to this stuff.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You don't need any of that stuff. Just the HID kit and the relay. The relay kit, basically, just eliminates the strain on your car's existing wiring. It hooks up directly to your car's battery. Do some research on this website and you'll find all the info you need. I used to have all the pages bookmarked, but I deleted them when I finished my lights.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I would also buy the HID Harness? It is described on their website as:

"Use this relay harness to connect HIDs to cars with very small gauge wiring that cannot supply the initial surge current required to light the bulbs reliably. Symptoms indicating the harness is required would be intermittent starting or lights going out after being turned on for several minutes and requiring you to turn the lights off and back on for them to turn back on again. Recommended for all 55W HID installations but most American and European cars work at 35W/55W without the harness. The harness is definitely recommended for Quad';s and other ATVs or when running multiple HID installations. This harness is a fused relay isolation harness capable of supplying 20A at 12vdc. Not required when using High / Low kits."

And I would need 35w, H7, 4500K correct? If this is the correct setup, I'll probably order from them tonight. Well, once I decide between 4500k and 5000k that is...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes the HID harness is what you want. And yes 35w, H7 and whatever temperature bulb is correct. I have 5000 and I think they're perfectly white. The thing that people don't mention about DDM is that they take a little while to get shipped, because they're coming directly from China.

·
Registered
77 Posts
During the 2 weeks that I was waiting for my kit, I did more research and started slipping down the slope. I bought a euro switch and ziza city lights to complement the white low beams. Then I decided that if I was gonna take my bumper off, I might as well get some HIDs for my fogs as well. So then I had to wait for that shipment to come from China as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aqQ3Goh2R4 from Spec-D tuning is great for showing how to actually get the headlights out

·
Registered
428 Posts
For the fogs you will have to modify the fog housing to fit the bulbs in. Then try to seal it up so water doesnt get in it and ruin the bulbs.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks holywar0902. Also, based on the lack of response to a DDM Tuning how-to, I'm guessing EckoOfGecko's is okay?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts