Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Passat Wagon glx 2.8L V6 30 valve fwd A/T *Engine code: ATQ / *Transmission code: EZZ
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here and first time VW owner. I’ll start with “her” description… she’s a 2004 Passat glx Wagon 2.8L V6 fwd A/T engine code ATQ, Auto Trans code EZZ (01V). So, just want to clarify before I even started pulling the engine apart I bought the Bentley Service Manual but I feel like it doesn't go deep enough into some of the areas i need to know as to ensure everything is exactly as it should be considering it surely wasn’t when I bought her. I will be purchasing the VCDS Software next week and need a little advice on a few thing. *First, she didn’t come with the battery vent tube. So, i bought one, connected one end to battery but bentleys doesnt show/explain where the other end goes… it just say “The flame trap is comprised of a small round fiberglass mat w/ a diameter of 15mm and has a thickness of 2mm.” Thats it! *Second question (i feel like this might be a stupid question but I have to ask), since she’s been sitting in my garage with top of engine torn apart & battery completely disconnected for just over a year now. I know the ECM needs to be reacquainted with its fellow modules & sensors. Would I be causing myself a whole new (expensive) headache if i started her just to get the heater core to open so the new coolant can fully circulate before i do the ECM reacquainting with the VCDS software? I’ll finish this up by saying I’m very excited to be joining my fellow Passat lovers. People that understand why you’d go threw hell and back just to know you’ll come out the other side knowing your baby will be there fix and happy to get back on the road w/ u behind the wheel. I think we all can agree when they are running right, its such a smooth, enjoyable ride. 😊
*Pic is to help replace mental image from above description of extent of tear down. (Replacing motor mounts when the pic was taken)
Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive tire
Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

* Pic- Where I am today in reassembling. her.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I can't answer the extended down-time, but as to the battery vent tube : Mine was still there, just hanging out, when I bought my 2002. I had no idea what it was, so I just pulled it out. It feeds into a hole right below the driver's side of the battery. If I remember, it was a tight fit and just hangs loose underneath.

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
Me personally I wouldn't be worried about the battery vent tube. I'm not 100% certain but I think the OEM (factory) battery is the only battery that has provision for the vent tube.
All of the aftermarket batteries I've purchased have no vent tube.

But...
If you have automobile OCD and your compelled to have the battery vent, it's just a piece of plastic tubing that goes through a hole in the bottom of the battery tray and just hangs down below that.

The ECU (ECM) does not need to be "reacquainted". At most a throttle body adaptation and that would be it.

·
Registered
2004 Passat Wagon glx 2.8L V6 30 valve fwd A/T *Engine code: ATQ / *Transmission code: EZZ
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, i’ve found myself becoming more and more OCD as this project has progressed. Lol. Thank you for the battery vent tube info. Very much appreciated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to know, thanks. 😊

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just wanted to post an update. So, I bled the coolant system. bought VCDS ran an Auto Scan which came back with a very long list of fault codes. Cleared all code and ran another Auto Scan and the second one only had a fault code for the ABS which I already knew about. So, I went ahead and tried starting it.....and, SHE LIVES!!!!! 🥳 Now all I have to do is an alignment and finish tightening up the subframe bolts.

Also, this is a list of everything I replaced....
Started with buying the correct Bentley Service Manual. As I got into it, I started finding all kinds of things that needed to be replaced. I also cleaned as much of the inside and outside of the engine as I had access to while it was tore apart. So I replaced (with all new, and majority of parts bought from VW dealerships )....
- All the timing components (ECS Tuning timing belt kit- ultimate plus) includes both cam & crank locking tools, water pump & gasket, thermostat & gasket, pulleys, tensioner, both timing and accessory belts.
- All 4 cam seals & cam end plugs
- Both cam position sensors
- New cam chain tensioner shoes/guides
- Cam tensioner gaskets
- Valve cover gaskets
- All coolant hoses
- All new vacuum lines
- New fuel filter
- All fuel injector O-rings
- New battery
- All new power steering hoses
- New coolant temp sensor & O-ring
- New radiator fan thermo switch & O-ring
- Both front CV axles
- Front driver side axle flange seal
- Oil cooler gasket
- All new PCV system components
- New throttle body
- New spark plugs and wires
- Engine mounts
- All new subframe hardware
- Sway bar bushings, brackets & nuts
- New hardware for a lot of the above parts
- All new fluids (i.e. coolant, brake, auto trans, gear oil, power steering)
- TCM
I might be forgetting a thing or 2, but I think you get the point. I'm SO happy to be in the home stretch!

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
Yikes, that's a laundry list. It's all within line though.
Sounds like something I would do :whistle:

Gotta ask though, why new cam position sensors and throttle body?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I was disconnecting the 4 hoses from the throttle body, the one that goes from throttle body to vapor canister purge valve had become one with the little metal hose fitting on the throttle body. So when I pulled the hose off the throttle body it took that metal hose connection piece with it. 😩 So I figured I might as well replace it rather than attempt to fix it and possibly have an issue arise in the near future that could have been avoided. As for the cam position sensors.... The guy I bought my car from (he was the 2nd owner) said the car comes all the vehicle service receipts from any and all work done on her. He wasn't joking either, I have the piece of paper that lists all the features and package options that was in the window of the car when it was brand new!
Handwriting Font Material property Rectangle Parallel

After looking threw the stack of vehicle service receipts one night, I noticed the cam position sensors had never been replaced. So I figured I'd go ahead and replace them, since I was already elbow deep. lol. Not to mention I seem to have "awesome" luck... (that's pure sarcasm right there!) "If I didn't have Bad Luck, I'd have no Luck at all!" ;-) But really tho....

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
Gotcha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts