Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on the VW Vortex site, but I didn't get much help. I'm hoping for a better response here.

Here's the scenario...I currently drive a '99 Mercedes C280. It is a great car with plenty of power, style, and class. I like the way it handles and drives, I like the European design and simplicity and the construction, but I would like a little more room and have been thinking about going back to a wagon (over a gas guzzeling SUV since I drive 24K Mi./year). I do alot of things where the cargo space would come in handy.

I have previously driven a Lexus ES300 and a Volvo V70 XC (complete POS and service nightmare). I like the V6 power & torque in the Benz, but I have thought about the 4cyl in the Passat since I drive alot. The German engineering and styling are what is making me lean towards the VW. (The only other options I would consider would be an older E Class Benz Wagon or possibly an Audi A6 Wagon, but I could have a much newer car for the money w/ the Passat.)

I am looking for a nice used wagon which are much harder to come by in my area. I am in no hurry so I can take my time to choose. Following are some of my thoughts that I thought you may be able to help with...

1) Is there enough HP & more importantly torque in the 4cyl to satisfy me, or do I need the 6 cyl? When did they up the HP in the 4cyl (model year)?

2) What should I watch out for in my search (technical, mechanical, cosmetic, etc.) How's the leather (I've only been able to get inside a cloth wagon)?

3) Other than the bad coil issue, what else can I expect to go wrong?

4) Are there certain pros and cons to the pre 2001.5 models over the current incarnation?

5) Any other guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
exoticimportz123 said:
there is a new passat coming out in a month it is a 1.8t and is all weel drive

u drop a chip u will beet 65% of cars in the street
I want something used. With the annual mileage that I put on a car (@24K +), I'd get killed on the depreciation. I prefer to get a low mileage used car in good shape that I can put a few miles on and sell it w/o too much loss.

If I was in the market for a new one, that would be an attractive option.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had a 98 Volvo XC which was a very nice car for us that endure winters. Bought a 2003 Passat W8 4Motion wagon with Sport Suspension which outpowers (275 vs 180hp) and handles 100% better than the Volvo. The 98 &99 XC's had a viscous drive problem that requires overhaul every 50,000 (right after warrantee expiration). For the value and fun car to drive, I am happy with my decision to switch brands. The W8 has larger ventilated discs, front and rear torsion bars, leather with real wood interior trim, dual exhaust, Premium Monsoon radio system, neat interior lighting, automatic sideview mirrors and a bunch of other amenities that make it had to find something to improve on. You can find them at around $22,000-25,000.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hello Fellow Virginian!

I would suggest the V6...mainly because I own one and I love it! I know you can do many more mods on the 1.8, but if you are not into that, get the V6! Get one with all the bells and whistles. I have a 2000 5-speed that is fully loaded and I will never go back to "basic" again. I love my cold weather package, heated seats are the way to go.

My wife had the Variant V6 4-Motion with Tiptronic and it was real nice...for an automatic...LOL. With the 4-wheel drive, there was just so much more powere to get down but I couldn't.

I wouldn't get a 4cyl with an automatic. VWs automatic seems anemic.

Just my humble opinions. :)
Michael

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just bought a 2000 Passat GLS V6 5spd 2 weeks ago. I did a lot of research on the web, and found very mixed reviews.
The thing you have to consider when visiting epinions.com or similar review or opinion based sites is that only people who are extremely pleased or displeased will go to the trouble of voicing their opinions. I read a lot of negative reviews, but I decided to buy the car any way.

The 2000 V6 has 190hp, and with the 5 spd, has plenty of power and torque which I love. My only advise here is that if you go automatic, I have heard that the Tiptronic transmissions are very very expensive to replace should it need to be.

Things that you may expect to go wrong, seem to be many in numbers.
VW electric windows have a reputation of failing. The regulators that have to be replaced to get them working again run about $100 each.

If you search this site, you will find many post concerning oil burning/consumption.
Apparently it is common around the 40 - 60k mile mark for a "cam seal" to begin leaking oil which is directly above the exhaust pipes. It leaks onto the exhaust, burns, the vapors flow directly into the cabin intake for ventilation causing the smell of burning oil to drift into the cabin. Really only happens when sitting still for a few minutes, as the wind carries it away when traveling down the road.
Also, I have read many post of folks saying they have to add anywhere from 1 - 4 quarts of oil in between the recommended 5k oil changes.

If you go 1.8T 4 cylinder, you can find many other posts in here concerning the many problems you may encounter with the turbo.

However, with all of that said, I still chose to purchase this car for the simple reason that it is FUNNNN to drive.

Handles like a dream, I have the leather with heated seats which are oh so nice on early morning winter drives.
Everytime I shift into 3rd and go from 40 - 70mph in 3 seconds a huge grin comes over my face.

The only mod I've made to my Passat is the addition of a radar detector because this baby loves to go fast, and I don't want any tickets. :wink:

I love this car so far, and even if it needs some repair here and there, it is worth it to me for the pure pleasure I get from driving it.

The slogan isn't "Drivers Wanted" for nothing. :eek:h:

:D :D :D :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts