Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apartment has a pretty decent sized terrace/patio/deck (I'm not sure what to call it because its actually quite large at about 20' x 20'). I don't have a backyard, but I'd love to BBQ up here.

The terrace is on the top (2nd) floor of my building. My deck is made out of wood.

Here's the real question: Can I use a charcoal or gas grill up here? Or is that a bad idea? I'm not convinced that an electric grill would have quite the same flavor as a charcoal grill.

So I'm looking to you guys for wisdom & insight... Can I get use a small charcoal grill like a Weber Smokey Joe? Or shoud I really stick with electric (Can someone receommend a good one)? Any insight would be very helpful. THanks guys.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Check the apt's open-flame rules... like you must be at least 10' from any exterior wall, or some such requirement. Other than that, get grillin'. :)

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
if you don't need to feed too many people the little gas weber at like 40 or 50 bucks is awesome. you can transport it easily and it cooks great.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
If your building won't allow charcoal, they probably won;t allow gas either. The Foreman outdoor grill does not give you the smoky taste of flame seared meats, but it is a great electric outdoor grill. It cooks really well and as long as you season with more than salt and pepper, you'll love it. :p

Carl III

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
if your landlord will allow charcoal, you can get a fire proof mat to place under the grill. i can't remember where I've seen them, but they are available specifically for this purpose.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heheheh... well my landlord are my parents (they own the building I live in)... I asked them this morning what their "policy" was on the grill thing. They basically said my rent would go up considerably if I burn the place down (lol), so they are a bit aprehensive of me firing up coals up there. They said gas is coolio. I'm eyeing a Weber Baby Q gas grill. Let me seeif I can dig up a picture.

·
Registered
477 Posts
How many people are you going to feed ... ?

Size *does* matter here ... as well as the heat output
of the burner(s).

If the grill is going to live outdoors, you'll also want to
make sure that the burners are brass instead of cast
iron ... and you probably want to make sure that the
firebox is made of well enameled [or powder coated]
steel, which will hold up better than aluminum.

As for gas v. charcoal ... gas is convenient, but make
sure you've got an extra cylinder [and try to remember
to keep it full !].

Good luck and happy grilling ... ! :beer:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
two words...

WEB ER

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
I just bought this... nothin' like true Barbeque with natural chunk coals :lol: Weighs 800 lb (1/4" steel) so probably not great for the apartment.

This is probably a little less than you're looking for, but I love this portable unit...

Also got a 'Fire and Ice' for travel... It's a handy little unit that works great. I've done everything from steaks to Fajitas (skirt steak on one side while the peppers and onions are going on the other side) to a full breakfast... all while in the woods.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
1) Convenient doesn't necessarily mean good. If you don't go charcoal, get the biggest, hottest gas grill you can afford. If you do have peeps over, it's a pain not to be able to cook all the food at once. When you're cooking for yourself, you can just cook on one of the burners.
2) Use a smoker box and hickory or mesquite wood chips. This is by far the best thing you can do to improve flavor on a gas grill.
3) Get a good cover ($40+).

The only other thing is where you put it. In my town, it's illegal to use a grill under any sort of enclosure.

Enjoy! :thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
12 Participants
flipsauce
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing