Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HY, everyone. What a great site. Three months ago I purchesed 2001 vw Passat GLS 1.8 T, Certified pre-owned. Ever since then I've been looking for something like this, a site where I can share my opinions and problems . I have so many question but I am gona start with something that is bothering me the most right now. Every time I start the car, when the engine is not warm the techometar is going crazy, like would jump up and down between 1100-1500 RPM , then the car is making a weird noise that I think it comes from the belt area. This lasts for a couple of minutes and then the noise goes away, and the car starts to sound normal. I took it to VW dealeship, they told me it was a belt damper, that causes the problem .Also the car is making a jet engine kind of noise. What do you think.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I know that jet engine noise very well - it would be your secondary air injection pump dying. Mine did that for 9 months before it finally quit.

I'm sure my neighbors loved it when I started my car every morning.

Do you have anonther noise in addition to this one?

Scott

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VW said it was the belt damper that caused both noises, should I beleive them?Before the techometar drops to normal 750RPM it's making a weird noise that shakes the whole car in intervals of few seconds and the techometar jump up and down, do you think this might be conected to ignition coils, I was told they were replaced but I never checked.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I made an appointment for this Monday, they have the part(belt damper) available, they gonna replace it under the CERTIFIED warranty. I just noticed my VW dealer is a sponsor for this site, I live like a mile away.

·
Registered
252 Posts
i've heard that weird noise between starting is from water pump...
after i've changed my water pump it was fine 8)

oh well....

after you check em out with Stealership

give us some input

1 - 5 of 5 Posts