Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for MATTE BLACK B5 Photos. And MATTE PAINT advise.

I still love my 2000 4motion V6 B5 after 12 years and 160K miles. City life has been a little rough on her exterior (after 12 years). Door dings, bumper rashes, hairline scratches... I think I want to give her a paint job. Either the original Black Magic or Matte Black.

So, my questions are:
Does anyone have any photos of a Matte Black B5 (NOT a B5.5)? If so, please post.
Does anyone have LONG TERM experience with Matte Paint finish on their car? If so, any regrets? Easy care?

THANX!!

This is my car a few few years ago. Most recent I could find. These are the wheels I'm driving on now.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I may be way off, but in terms of ease of maintenance matte finishes aren't that easy. You can't treat maintain them the same way as clear coated finishes.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have done some research on this. I just wanted to (A) see photos and (B) hear from people with experience.

1) Sure, I would love to plastic dip it. I think I can actually put it on with a paint roller. But I think it would be very hard to do any future body work to it.

2) VINYL WRAP is $3000 minimum. And does not work well in warm/cold climates. It shrinks and expands. And you start to have all kinds of problems after a year or so. In the North East it is NOT a good idea at all. Up here you may see it on show cars or partial wraps or Commercial vehicles (where they plan to change it anyway). Long term, Non commercial wraps work better in CA, FL, AZ... states where there's no extreme cold weather.

3) What I hear about matte finish it that on a daily basis it is easier the keep than glossy. No waxes and swirls and so on to worry about. However, there are things that can stain it. Because you can't buff out things. So, the minute you get a something (like bird droppings) you have to wash off it right away, or it will stain.

I was at the NYC auto show last week. A few car makers are now having matte as an option. For example, you can get a new BMW M series in matte from the dealer.

4) I am working out a trade/BARTER deal with a local body shop. We haven't worked out a deal/price yet. But the cost is under $2500.

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,871 Posts
It all depends on how the matte look is achieved, there are many ways to achieve a matte look.

1) only apply primer to the car (not reccomended)

2) use a special 1 stage matte paint (ok choice)

3) use a matte clearcoat (best option)

FWIW I think a matte paint job on a Passat would look awful. Especially a B5, I've seen it before and it just doesn't look right.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, NewMan, I agree with you, your #3 is the way to go (1 and 2 are useless). And I am also leaning towards your opinion that "I think a matte paint job on a Passat would look awful. Especially a B5, I've seen it before and it just doesn't look right." That's why I am asking to see photos. And asking if anyone has done this before on a B5. Thanx!

·
Registered
63 Posts
My bike is painted flat black and it was done with gloss black with a flat clear. Where my knees rub up on the tank the clear begins to polish but you just have to dull it back down. Obviously you can't do this that many times because the clear will be gone eventually. It waterspots pretty easily and isn't that easy to keep clean.

I will be wrapping my b5.5 matte white here within a month or two, so stay tuned. And I live in upstate NY.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
1. you should be able to find someone to vinyl wrap a car cheaper than 3k, and all myths aside, vinyl wrap is more of a pain to maintain than any sort of paint.
2. You can either use a single stage paint (like I did), or as others have said, use a base, then a clear with flattener added to the clear.
3. My car has been single stage hotrodflatz for almost a year, and I have no ridiculous fade or scars of any types in the paint. I usually try to keep it pretty clean, but bird crap has yet to leave scar, even after a week or two of not being washed.
4. If you're ever in a pinch and need to clean the whole car/a small area, windex does wonders.
5. Search my name on here and you will find some pics of my car in it's current state, I think it looks alright lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
passat a moii.jpg

i think it's look good, it's just not for everyone, like everything ...

Forthe maintenance it's different from a normal paint, but it's no that bad ;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Wow, zachste's car is truly unique! I wouldn't necessarily want matte paint, but I love to see cars that make the boring daily drives more interesting! Thanks, zachste!

Saw a matte white R8 at the Audi $tealership in Nashville last week. My kids (8 & 10) were all crazy about it, and it made me think of another advantage to matte finish: no fingerprints from gawkers. OK, maybe I'm reaching, 'cause anyone stupid enough to actually touch a car (as if touching would somehow enhance their interaction with a cool car) prolly has greeezy fingers and would leave prints on the matte paint. My son (8YO) asked what's different about it, daddy?? I was so proud! And no, they did NOT have to be told not to touch it!!
-Tom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts