Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing some reading on turbo kits etc and while looking at a kit for my other car I found this kit for the b5 A4...they are claiming their car is in the low 12s and they have a video of it spinning the tires on the dyno...damn impressive

http://www.vwturbo.com/turboinfo/102803.asp

·
Registered
144 Posts
wow :shock:

·
0 Posts
Jesus christo 400hp and 12's at only 18psi good googamooga! "must save change, must save change, must save change" :bow:

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
passaturbonium said:
yea i've read good and bad about em...still though i've heard good and bad from just about anyone

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Z28Driver said:
passaturbonium said:
yea i've read good and bad about em...still though i've heard good and bad from just about anyone
I know...its their programing....but the fastest Passat is using bits and peaces off of those set ups so it cant be all that bad.

ATP is great for custom kits that require some work, tunning and programming.........and testing.

I dont think its one of those slap on kits.....but thats just me....

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
passaturbonium said:
Z28Driver said:
passaturbonium said:
I know...its their programing....but the fastest Passat is using bits and peaces off of those set ups so it cant be all that bad.

ATP is great for custom kits that require some work, tunning and programming.........and testing.

talking with a guy running their stage iv kit he is going to run revo software so i'd be inclined to agree with you

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Z28Driver said:
passaturbonium said:
Z28Driver said:
passaturbonium said:

talking with a guy running their stage iv kit he is going to run revo software so i'd be inclined to agree with you
Many also run K04 chips with their Stage 2 kits......but those use flanges rather then a new Manifold......

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I always had question what is the diference between this turbokit http://vwturbo.com/products/items/passat18t.asp from ATP and this turbokit http://www.evoms.com/vw main frames.htm.

They both uses T28 turbochargers. I would assume the only difference is that Evo turbokit uses GIAC software. And ATP something else. When I called ATP I asked the guy if he has specific software for Stage II kit he said yes. So what is the difference then?

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Johnny B5.5 said:
Only 4500 smackers!

It's nice, but I'll pass.
hows the saying go "speed costs money how fast do you wanna go"

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Z28Driver said:
Johnny B5.5 said:
Only 4500 smackers!

It's nice, but I'll pass.
hows the saying go "speed costs money how fast do you wanna go"
I agree. I had no problem justifying my GIAC chip. Was cheap hp. Now that I bought and engagement ring, a house, getting married and have a deposit down on an Elise, I couldn't justify 4500 on the Passat (the weath is being redistributed).

That doesn't mean that I don't want to go for ride in yours when you're install is done!!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Iv'e seen that yellow A-4 in the pics run at Sacramento raceway. He's not lieing about hitting low 12's!!! Accually, he had so much power he blew up his tranny shifting into second!!!! :eek: :eek: At first i thought he blew his motr, but when i talked to him in the pit area, i found out he fried 2nd gear. Could only get it into 4th, and had to drive all the way back to Fremont in 4th!! (thats about a 2 hour drive for those not fammilar with the area). The owner of the A-4 turned out to be the Owner of ATP. very friendly, and was more than happy to answer all of my questions.
I heard of some people (accually many, and some close friends) haveing issues with ATP, but iv'e also heard he's really imrpoved on the kits, and tunning, so i'm not sure..........

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
I think the problem with the big turbo kits, and definitely ATP's, have been their ability to repeat the results without major glitches. The more people spend, the better they expect a setup to work and in the case of 1.8T kits, I think this is exactly opposite from reality. Think about it, you get the most bang from a chip/exhaust, it's relatively cheap and most problems can be sorted out pretty quick. Add a K04 with the rest and you get more power but some people start running into problems. Go to one of the bigger turbo kits and it seems you really have to cross your fingers and keep your wallet handy. Follow the threads. All the excitement and buildup before the install, then a few posts about too rich/too lean/boost not as high as expected/disappointing dyno results, then fade away. I'm not taking shots at anybody's efforts and there have been some great jobs done, but there's plug-n-play and there's plug-n-blow-chunks (or 2nd gear). :shock:

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
theres a simple reason for that one8t any car thats more modified becomes less reliable...a small block chevy would start to become less reliable after you add tons of mods to it..thats just the way it is as I remember somone asking me one time.

You have speed, cost, and reliability pick 2

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Z28Driver, I agree with you and I think we're saying basically the same thing. Out of your three picks, I was just focusing on the reliability aspect because when your car ain't driving, the speed and the dollars are gone.

..thats just the way it is as I remember somone asking me one time
Was that me? :shock:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Z28Driver said:
they are claiming their car is in the low 12s and they have a video of it spinning the tires on the dyno...damn impressive.
Uhhhh, no 12-second 400hp car should ever spin tires on a dyno. That's just barely higher than stock Z06 Vette power through twice as many drive wheels. I've seen 600-700rwhp cars manage non-slipping dyno runs with just two wheels numerous times. The one car I saw that couldn't reliably be dyno'd was measuring around 1200rwhp through the slippage, so it probably takes 4-digit power to make any decent chassis dyno unreliable. These guys either don't know how to use a dyno at all (probably made a run in 1st gear), or they're trying to bullshit us. I would not consider this video a good sign.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
11 Participants
Triumph
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing