Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I bought our 2000 passat 1.8t 5spd sedan over a year ago with a Auto tech 2.5 SS exhaust system on it.
It is the kind that has a turn down tip , and the after researching it on the auto tech site I think its meant for a Beetle.
It sounds nice and looks good, in fact I love it , but my wife doesnt like the low tone it makes when accelerating.
Does anybody know of a good muffler to replace it that will have similar tone to the stock muffler but retain some performance ?
I really dont wanna remove it but at least if i do I get to put it in my 94 2.0Jetta.:D

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
if it was meant got a beetle there's no way in hell it would go on your car. there's also no way to add the backpressure she wants to quiet the system down and retain performance. more flow = more noise, period.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes OEM is what Im thinking aswell.
Im gonna crawl under and check it out as Im not sure but the resonator might have been removed and even if it wasnt Ill just add a 24" glasspack in the place of the straight pipe after the cat.

I have a Borla on my 16V and its WAY to loud.:thumbdown

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
To be honest i dont think a muffler itself makes a HUGE difference. I would imagine with any aftermarket muffler you are going to hear +/- the same amount of noise. The fact is you have 2.5'' piping all the way back, and as Paul said the decrease in backpressure increases the sound. Im sure you could go back and weld the stock muffler up with a reducer from the 2.5'' you would probably lose some performance, but it SHOULD be quieter.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
tuner-automotive said:
It sounds nice and looks good, in fact I love it , but my wife doesnt like the low tone it makes when accelerating.
Your wife doesn't like the low tone? I don't think it's the exhaust you should be changing. :poke:

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
tuner-automotive said:
It is the kind that has a turn down tip
This is the issue. The downturn is 1) behind the bumper and 2) allowing the sound to reflect back up under the car.

Its a given that the aftermarket exhaust will have a lower tone than the factory system, but if you change the exhaust tip with one that goes straight back and passes the bumper, it won't be as loud.

I was able to quiet my system significantly by making sure the exhaust didn't exit under the car. This involved me moving my exhaust tip about 1" further back.

-Mark

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
This is just my own experience, but I have a full 2.5" custom down pipe leading to a full 2.5" piping connected just to a Supersprint rear muffler and it's still quiet. A slight grumble when you accelerate, but nothing annoying loud like the Autotech or Neuspeed exhausts. Just right. 2 cents.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thaanx guys.
Very helpful.
My Tip does point down and exits right under the rear bumper , almost flush w/the bumper.
Im thinking , new straight tip and a resonator addition.
This should do 2 things.
1 - give me alittle more back pressure while still maintaining a performance flow .
2 - reduce noise.
Any thoughts.

Someone earlier had said that since the exhaust was for a Beetle that I dont get any back pressure.

This is untrue.
All 1.8t engines are the same and the Beetle exhaust I have is for a 1.8t Beetle.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Who told you you got a Beetle exhaust? Autotech at one point did manufacture an exhaust for the 1.8T Passat with that exhaust same tip that points down and hidden. Anyway, you got the right idea about adding a resonator.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
tuner-automotive said:
Someone earlier had said that since the exhaust was for a Beetle that I dont get any back pressure.

This is untrue.
All 1.8t engines are the same and the Beetle exhaust I have is for a 1.8t Beetle.
There's no way you have a NB exhaust. Not only is the NB at least 2 feet shorter than a Passat it's also a transverse motor where the Passat is longitudinal not to mention the routing is totally different. A NB exhaust simply won't work.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The mufflers are universal.
Thats it.
I wouldnt say that I have a catback Beetle system in my B5 , that would be just plain silly.:rolleyes:
As far as someone telling me I have a NB exhaust.
No one told me , I just ordered the catalog and didnt see mine for a passat just a NB so I figured that was it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts