Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I just bought used 2006 Passat 2.0T with 69,000 miles and no warranty from a Hyundai dealership. In New Mexico there is a 15 day warranty provided from the car dealers who sell used cars. The first day I drove the car I got a MIL (Check Engine Light) I took it back and they sent it to a VW dealership to be looked at and fixed. Here is what they did: :wrench:

Replaced faulty IMRC Valve and readapted to the vehicle.

Replaced Electronic Steering Lock – TSB

Found faults for the Breather Valve – Replaced Breather Valve and Turbo Pipe – TSB

Found T-Stat Fault – Replaced Thermostat and replaced coolant.

Found misfire faults – Replaced all 4 spark plugs.

Found faults and replaced Thrust Sensor and Seal – TSB

I got the car back after 4 days. The car runs and performs great, but a day later I got another MIL. The 15 day dealer warranty no longer applies. So need a little advice. DTC code is P000A, and is the only code being presented from the EMC. It looks like the definition of this code is "Engine Position System Performance Bank 1" according to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P000A Definition
Do you guys know if the car is safe to drive with this error code active for a while until I can get the funds to take it to a shop. I am thinking I am going to need a separate saving account just to fund the fixes this car is going to require. But that being said, I really like this car! :rockon:

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
i know that many people looked at this thread and didn't respond.

did you try to ask the dealer to take care of this because you have a history of issues? There is a lemonlaw that might apply.

What is wrong with the car? I am not sure enough to give good advise. Suggest to find a good indy in your area.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The manual shows P000A as: Intake (A) camshaft positioner, slow response. The diagnostic suggests: Refer to checking camshaft adjustment valve N205. You need a Vag Com to start. Your best bet is a VW dealer. I know that in most states lemon laws do not apply to used cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your responses guys! :) I know what you mean about some states where the lemon law does not apply. Here in New Mexico it really only applies to new vehicles after 4 times with the same issue. I was pretty happy about the Hyundai dealership really stepping forward and having what I mentioned about above fixed with no questions. And like I said, the car has been performing absolutely great and plenty of power and ides perfectly. The car is like new condition. Whoever owned it before me really took care of it. I will post pics today.

Even though it has this new code, it does not seem to be interfering with the performance of the car. And I know I will have to have it looked at. There is a great shop here the works on VW's and has all the equipment to do it with and has an awesome reputation for customer service and quality of work. I just need about a month to save up some cash and wanted to see if it was OK to drive the car with this only one DTC (P000A) code. :nervous: Someone did tell me it probably wouldn’t hurt to just buy and install myself a Cam Positioning Sensor since they are only $32.00 and takes about 30 mins to install. :wrench:

·
Registered
400 Posts
After the repair work, the following work steps must be performed in the following sequence:

Check the DTC memory. Refer to => [ Diagnostic Mode 03 - Read DTC Memory ] See: Testing and Inspection\Scan Tool Testing and Procedures\Diagnostic Modes 01 - 09\Diagnostic Mode 03 - Read DTC Memory.

If necessary, erase the DTC memory. Refer to => [ Diagnostic Mode 04 - Erase DTC Memory ] See: Testing and Inspection\Scan Tool Testing and Procedures\Diagnostic Modes 01 - 09\Diagnostic Mode 04 - Erase DTC Memory.

If the DTC memory was erased, generate readiness code. Refer to => [ Readiness Code ] See: Testing and Inspection\Monitors, Trips, Drive Cycles and Readiness Codes\Readiness Code.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for these steps GALVANIZEDYANKEE. I just finished installing the Camshaft Positioning Sensor and used your steps to clear the code and rest the EMC. I guess now I will have to drive it a bit and see if that particular DTC comes back. :driving:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE: Well driving the car for a while with the new Cam Position Sensor, the MIL came back on again with the same DTC: P000A. I did a lot of research and found out what the problem is. Apparently it is the N205 Valve or Camshaft Adjustment Valve. These have a high failure rate and need to be replaced and / or engine failure or damage can occur. The valve costs around $145.00. I am hoping to elicit some wisdom from some VW gurus here that might be able to answer me a quick question.

First the Valve is located to the back of the engine on the driver’s side and sticks up horizontally with an electrical connector on top. It is held on by to small torx screws. It appears to be very easy to replace. What I need to know before attempting this is there something else that needs to be done before, for example with the ECM, or can I just simple pull the old one and install the new one and off I go?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I could only find this procedure.

Camshaft Adjustment Valve 1

Special tools, testers and auxiliary items required

Torque Wrench (5-60 Nm) (V.A.G 1783)
TORX Bit Set (V.A.G 1766)
Ratchet Insert 1/4" (VAS 6234)
Spring Type Clip Pliers (VAS 5024 A)

Removing

•Disconnect the camshaft adjustment valve 1 (N205) connector - 1 -.

•Loosen the wiring harness - 2 - from the bracket.
•Remove the bolts - 3 -.

Do not pull out the camshaft adjustment valve 1 by the connector.

•Remove the three bolts, and remove the camshaft adjustment valve 1 out of the housing.

Installing

The camshaft adjustment valve 1 as well as the housing must be free of dirt and contaminants.

Remove the new camshaft adjustment valve 1 from its packaging only prior to installation.

CAUTION!

The camshaft adjustment valve 1 must not be subjected to knocks and impacts.

•Lubricate the seal with engine oil.
•Carefully install the camshaft adjustment valve 1 into the housing and press it perpendicular to the valve axis in by hand until seated.
•Tighten the bolts to 4 Nm.

The rest of the installation is basically a reverse of the removal sequence.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
YOU ROCK GALVANIZEDYANKEE!!! Thank you very much for these steps. I was able to dig out the problem part, but just could not find any info on what consideration and requirements were needed to replace it. I will attempt this on Friday. I am also going to check for a possible sludge as well.

·
Registered
184 Posts
YOU ROCK GALVANIZEDYANKEE!!! Thank you very much for these steps. I was able to dig out the problem part, but just could not find any info on what consideration and requirements were needed to replace it. I will attempt this on Friday. I am also going to check for a possible sludge as well.

Updates please on install ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts