Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been looking at getting a Passat for quite awhile and I found one I really like, but I wanted to know the opinion of all you Passat owners out there first.

Its a 2004 GLS with a manual 1.8T with 38,000 miles, has 18s and suspension, front and rear side windows tinted, mangaflow muffler and exhaust tip, cold air intake, aero wipers, leather, a stubby antenna, and monster floor mats.

Im not sure of the tint% but if anybody can guess, please let me know! A better pic of the tint is here. In Florida the legal limit is 35% in front and 20% in back and sides iirc.

I talked to the guy (small dealer) and he had it advertised for $15,000 but he said he would go to $14,400. Id ideally like it to be cheaper because I am 18 after all, but I checked the KBB and it came in at $18,025. The carfax is here.

Now for the pics!

What do you guys think? Should I go for it?

Thanks,

Joe

·
One more time, and I'm outta here
5,841 Posts
I'd pick it up.

If he doesn't have synthetic oil changes, get Auto RX and clean it out.

That is a nice Passat. I hope you decide to pick it up. Someone will at that price.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
That is a great price for a nice custom job. If it has decent oil records I'd snag it before someone else does :)

You should/could ask to have a local indy check it out before you buy it. I can't imagine you'd have too many issues but you never know. It has a little bit of life left on the warranty and depending on how many miles you'd you put on it that may be an issue. You might look into an extended warranty, being as you are 18 and these cars can be quite a money sucker if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replys guys!

The carfax says it was serviced at 17,880 miles, 22,446 miles, 31,075 miles, and 34,288 miles. It was dealer serviced so I would think they were smart enough to change the oil, but I called the dealer for the service records and they only had the first two oil changes.

Thanks for the info, I was planning on Auto RXing it and the extended warrenty sounds like a good idea.

Any guesses on the tint?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I suppose if you could track down the original dealer and see if they have any service records from the first owner it may be a good idea. Not all dealers report that stuff back to Carmax.

Edit: Also, I'm not a tint expert by any means, but I'd guess 35% front, 20% back, and that was before I looked at the legal limit stuff ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok guys, I checked with the local VW dealer and they said that i will need to have the car in for them to check out before I can get the extended warranty. They told me the 100k miles warranty could be anywhere from $1,000 to $4,000 depending on the car and level of coverage. If I get a Passat it seems like an extended warrenty is really something good to have, is it going to be worth the extra $1-4k? I am thinking if it covers a tb snap, a icm failure, or ecu failure it would be worth it, but what do you guys think? Also I looked online and to get the extended warranty from a 3rd party it was like a "bumper to bumper" for $2,500.

BTW: I have heard of a good indy shop to check it out, and before I buy I will have it by there.

My dad has been checking out other cars and the third generation acura tl is like the same for a 2003 with 50k miles and such, but no mods. I really like the Passat, but I have heard good things about acura's reliability (i have also heard good things about the passats reliability but less so than acura). I dont know. :nervous: Would I be better off with something like a tl?

Thanks for the help,

Joe

EDIT: I also found something about a lady that wanted to get the extended warrantyon her Passat, but VW denied it to her because she didnt have every single oil change recorded. With this being a used car, I dont have all of them.. I have records of when it went into the dealer, but not every oil change record.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
That is one clean Passat. Even the engine is clean. Looks like a nice find.

CHECK THE GAUGE CLUSTER READOUTS AND MAKE SURE THEY WORK. Check the cruise control too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts