Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking at buying a 2001.5 passat glx vr6 with a manual tranny. i am mechanicly inclined, but are there any "problem" areas i should be looking at, the passat in question has 70,000 on it and he only wants $7,500, and thats way under book @ $12,000. so i am a lil skeptical about this one, so if anyone could show me what to look at it would be helpfull

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Well first, not a VR6, just a V6. Second price is cheap but factor in that it will need a timing belt done soon(1k), also there may be other mainanence issue, does he have full records.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
If the deal sounds too good to be true, I'd guess flood/hurricane car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not a huricane car all maintanence records from here in michigan, its a local car, but hes moving to florida so he needs to sell, the records are clean, carfax is clean, has had no unscheduled maintence, but im new to vw's im kind of a honda guy, but this deal seems to good to pass up, its scheduled to have it checked out at a dealership here, i was just wondering if there were any common problems with the v6 that i should know of

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Do the whole "timing belt" job - waterpump, tensioner roller, etc.
Some suggest doing the thermostat, fan switch, and snub mount while your at it.
If he's the original owner, and has the service records, it could be okay.
The V6 is the most forgiving of the Passat engines.

·
Registered
220 Posts
, its scheduled to have it checked out at a dealership here,
Here's my $.02. As a VW owner, you will quickly realize that the vast majority of VW dealership service depts, are.....(what's a fair word?)...incompetent.
They're OK at basic stuff, but have been known to mis-diagnose, and mislead unsuspecting clients. I would suggest taking the car to a well established German Independent garage to have it completely checked over.

Keep an eye on the CV boots, they're known for frequent premature failure, and a pain in the ass (and wallet) to replace. Good luck.

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
Check for oil leaks. The cam chain tensioner gaskets/seals are prone to leaking. The PVC system can get plugged up too. At 70K, it would need a good cleaning.

·
Registered
220 Posts
we do have a european shop in my area, so i should take it there instead of the vw dealer?
Having been to 4 different local VW Dealers for service, I would say "yes", take it to a european shop to have it inspected. Majority of the members here, would rather have their car serviced at a Euro Indy Shop, then the dreaded stealership. Go to the forum on this site dedicated to Service Shops, and read some of the horror stories... you'll quickly understand what I mean.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Also, I suggest that YOU choose the place where the car is inspected. If YOU have to pay for it, and not the seller (that's usually how it goes), think of it as the best insurance policy you will ever spend your money on.

Remember, if a deal looks too good to be true....you know the rest.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yah i made an appointment at an independent european shop, $100 for a complete inspection, im hopeing the car is cheap because he moves to florida middle of next month, so ill find out friday morning, thanks for everything

1 - 13 of 13 Posts