Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking along trip tomorrow down to SIUC. Thats where Im gonna be going to college for automotive technology, and the drive from chicago to siuc is about 5 hours and 350 miles. Im taking my car which is the passat =] it has 82,xxx miles on it and i did the timing belt at 77,xxx and just changed the oil with some royal purple at 80,000. I honestly think that it will be fine driving 350 miles with no problem at all. My parents are kinda ehh on taking it. Is there anything I should be concerned with??

Thanks!!!

BTW im lowered on H&R's and eibach pro dampers, with a neuspeed exhaust and a COAM over!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I love using the Passat for long trips. It's comfortable, efficient, and attracts almost no attention from the police.
I drove from Minneapolis to Omaha three times last summer (around 400 miles each way) I think the essentials to check before making a long trip are tire pressures (check the spare too in case of a flat), and oil level. If the car is well maintained I don't think you have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I drove 400 miles today in my 2000 4motion with 96k on it, did timing belt on monday, oil change 2k miles ago.. had no problems :)

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
ditch the royal purple. the stuff sticks to cylinder walls too well and goes far too quickly. stick to 502 oils and you're set!

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,711 Posts
180k on mine and no hesitation to take it on a long trip. and i am BT so i have more to worry about.

Good luck and hope to hear the trip went well, the good news is your going to an automotive school so if something does happen you can fix it :lol:

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Change out the stabizer link in the exhaust

(a mancanic told my GF that yesterday. I thought she did hear him right, but he told me the same thing...)

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
Other than the Royal Purple, it sounds like you're up on your maintenance, so you should have NO issues. If you can handle typical Chicago traffic, then a relaxing road trip shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Interesting. At 195k, I'll drive over 600 miles today and am not thinking twice of it, and be using my wagon as a pickup for a Boy Scout cleanup project this evening back home.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I love using the Passat for long trips. It's comfortable, efficient, and attracts almost no attention from the police.
I drove from Minneapolis to Omaha three times last summer (around 400 miles each way) I think the essentials to check before making a long trip are tire pressures (check the spare too in case of a flat), and oil level. If the car is well maintained I don't think you have anything to worry about.
x2 for everything he said. Throw a nice bottle of fuel injector cleaner and some good gas in her before you start the trip and your set :thumbup:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sweet thanks, ever since I put in royal purple oil in my car it idles so much smoother and it feels a lot smoother. Is royal purple not that good? Ive also heard that mobile 1 0w40 works the best in our cars. I'm also thinking about sea foaming right before we go which would definitely help clean it out.

·
Registered
705 Posts
You should be fine.

I have done trip from Lake Tahoe Neveda to Las vegas for 575.52 miles for 8 hrs straight, with of course couple of stops to use restrooms.

Just always watch out for debris on freeways especially at night since you are lowered, be on top of your oil change, download some good tunes,snacks/redbull to keep your body alive, and keep the tires well swell.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,293 Posts
You'd have to be in pretty bad shape for redbull on a 5hr trip. Did 12hrs in one day on my passat (750 miles) with two stops. Iced tea and water the whole way

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,293 Posts
The only time I drink redbull is when it has Jeager in it :) Long trips are nothing. What I eat or drink is the last thing I worry about

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use to drink redbull switched to Low carb Monster, less sugar more drink for the money.
I also eat sunflower seeds on trips keeps me busy. You should try it if you like sunflower seeds.

Stay low, stay safe:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts