Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for some suggestions here. I’m schedule to deploy for 6 months to Iraq (lucky me) in few weeks, and my Passat is just going to be sitting unattended during that time. I can’t really leave my keys with anyone to drive it around and take care of it during that time, as all of my buddies are deploying with me.

What kind of maintenance should I do to it prior to leaving it unattended for six months, and also what should be the first thing I do when I get back to get it up and running normally again? It's a 99 1.8T with 100K. I appreciate your suggestions. Thanks a lot.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
After sitting for six months (in the winter, no less), the belts will be brittle from disuse. You DON'T want to start your car and have the timing belt break. Depending on how much time you have, you may want to get the timing belt changed now, because if you don't you will probably have to tow it to the shop to get it done when you get back, to prevent popping the belt when you fire up the engine.

Put the car up on stands to keep the tires from deforming, and from being damaged if they go flat. They cost something like $15 apiece at Autozone. You'll need four. Cinderblocks will suffice if there is no other option, but you'll need to pad the top surface with wood to keep from damaging the paint and allowing rust to creep in.

To conserve battery power and avoid having to buy a charger, just disconnect the battery cables (black first, then red) once you've parked it for good.

You should look into finding a heated storage facility that you can keep the car in while you're gone. Winter will do a number on anything not made of metal.

- - -

Do you have any family you can leave the car with, instead of leaving the car in a garage? Parents, maybe? Cousins?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts