Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok
This is what happened . I get out of my car , lock the doors using the remote, then i remember that I had to take something out of the trunk .
I unlock the car using the remote , drop the keys inside the trunk , close the lid , the car automatically lock all the dors ( cause the trunk switch is not working so the car tought I unlocked the doors by mistake and locked them again)
i take a look inside my pocket , guess what ? no keys ..
I dont have a spare, Im not an AAA member key so "Whats the best course of action here?"

Gett a locksmith ?
What devices can be used to open all cars. ( so the jackass does not break anything)

Fabio

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Yea get a locksmith or call VW roadside assistance. Both would probably cost about the same. I have always found it annoying how it automatically locks like that.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I would call Vw roadside assistance. That way you make sure they nothing gets messed up, they are supose to be trained for vw's atleast :roll:

·
Registered
487 Posts
And get a spare key, I locked myself out once when I was 22 and 20 years later I still always have two keys with me.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
geordie said:
And get a spare key, I locked myself out once when I was 22 and 20 years later I still always have two keys with me.
I'm getting a spare one now.

How much you guys think VW would charge me?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
depends, i know its 250 for one of the remote keys. I remeber when i did this, i called VW roadside and they sent out some doode, after 45 mins he still wasn't able to break into my car. he said in his 30+ years thats never happened, that he couldn't break into car. So Unless the theif is very skilled or breaks a window, he said im in good hands. Knock on wood. I eventually had my friend come up from my parents house an hour away drop off my spares. Luckily she was coming up that day anyways. 1edyson owned by trunk

·
Registered
549 Posts
When you call VW Roadside, give them your VIN and just have them make you a key to open the door. Since you need a spare anyway, this might be a good time to do it... and nobody messes up your locks.

Not sure on the price of a regular key.

nick

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
a valet key might be less expensive BTW. i haven't priced though. it doesn't have the remote attatched and all.

something i've done also, even thought i don't have a spare key for each, i have a banjo style remote at my inlaws house (of course only works if they're local) but anywhere that you have a reliable person...program a banjo remote to your car so you can unlock it in case of an event like this.

·
Banned
5,213 Posts
Yeah, get a valet key. I always use the valet key and bring one of the key fobs for emergency even though I have never left a key locked inside.

Also, make it a habit of putting your keys back in your pocket. In my case, a key is either in my pocket, in use, in my drawer when I'm at home, or hanging in the garage when washing the car. Never anywhere else.

·
Banned
5,213 Posts
And BTW, while on the subject of keys, I keep my car keys separate, as well as my house keys. I know a lot of people have their car and house keys together and I don't know why. I mean, imagine if your house keys were with your car keys and you locked them in your trunk? Now you're locked out of your car and your house. And if one gets lost/stolen, all gets lost/stolen.

·
Registered
712 Posts
That happened to me also :oops: ! I gotta share this with all of you :lol: :lol: :lol: ! At first I panicked. What am I gonna do. Well, I'll tell you what I did. I picked the pin lock. I pryed the door with a screw driver and sit the handle of a knife (wood) between the door and car so I could get a gap clear enough for me to stick a wire in it. I had some welding wires (tig welding) in the gargage from a little project I had (trailer for a jet ski) and I curved the end of it, and after struggling for 2 hours I finally picked the lock. As soon as I opened the door, that's when the alarm went off. I had to unlock the pin for the rear door (because I tried to unlock with the unlock button first, eheh), opened the seat to access the trunk, found the keys, closed the doors, locked and unlocked the car again with the keys (don't have keyless entry :sad: ). My biggest worry was to have a gap on my door, allowing to enter water in car. It didn't happen. All I had was some minor scratches on the upper corner on the inside of the door, from prying it with the screwdriver. Good luck with your keys!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I gave my gf my spare key, she can come save me if I lock it in the car. Also, I have my valet key at home. So, if it happens at home I am still safe.

Kevin

·
Banned
2,410 Posts
I left my car for service once and told the tech to leave the key in the glove box. When I picked up the car that night I completly forgot to bring the spare. I called AAA they got there in less than 30 minutes and the guy who opened the car used a slim jim and got in the car in about 20 seconds or less (he admitted he used to repo cars). I myself in my younger years was a skilled slim jim-ologists.

Lets see AAA membership is about $45 bucks a year and you get all the cool discounts at resturants and attractions plus the neat bathroom reading material they send. Not a bad deal. :thumbup:

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
vwpwr said:
That happened to me also :oops: ! I gotta share this with all of you :lol: :lol: :lol: ! At first I panicked. What am I gonna do. Well, I'll tell you what I did. I picked the pin lock. I pryed the door with a screw driver and sit the handle of a knife (wood) between the door and car so I could get a gap clear enough for me to stick a wire in it. I had some welding wires (tig welding) in the gargage from a little project I had (trailer for a jet ski) and I curved the end of it, and after struggling for 2 hours I finally picked the lock. As soon as I opened the door, that's when the alarm went off. I had to unlock the pin for the rear door (because I tried to unlock with the unlock button first, eheh), opened the seat to access the trunk, found the keys, closed the doors, locked and unlocked the car again with the keys (don't have keyless entry :sad: ). My biggest worry was to have a gap on my door, allowing to enter water in car. It didn't happen. All I had was some minor scratches on the upper corner on the inside of the door, from prying it with the screwdriver. Good luck with your keys!
Thanks I ordered another key from VW . but it will be here just friday .

I will try to pick the door unlock switch tonight if does not happen i will wait until friday.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Little update on that.

I made a home made slim jim using a coat hanger to pick the unlock switch , but as the alarm was set the switch didn't work ,( 2 hours spent on that)
Then I made a small loop using a really thin metal wire and wire it to the tip of my home made slim jim . i was able to pick the door lock pin by cacthing it ,twisting the slim jim around the pin and pulling it.
total time 10 minutes. ( it was like fishing )
Anyway I'm getting a spare key.
Thanks everybody.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
21 Participants
crash893
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing