Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 questions: 1-has anyone locked their keys in their car, and if you did, did you have a local towing company open you up, or did you need a locksmith? 2-have you ever had the following happen?

I was on the road, and stopped for coffee in beautiful Wanatah, IN. I got into my car, and tossed my key on the seat, and grabbed my tire guage to check a tire. while i was checking the tire, the car locked itself. Of course, I had my key, and my cellphone in the car. I found a payphone, and called my Autoclub...I was told I needed a locksmith b/c my car had side airbags, and otherwise, there was risk they would deploy the airbag. They could not provide me with a locksmith. (note to self-cancel auto club :suspicio: ). I went back to the gas station, and they put me in touch with who I thought was a locksmith....turned out to be Delbert, :shock: the local towtruck guy, who was about to pry my doorframe, and use a long stick to try to reach the button to unlock. He made no guarantees this would not cause the airbag to deploy, as he never had to open newer cars(mine is a 2000). I thought better, paid him $20 for coming out, and called my wife to come meet me in beautiful Wanatah with a key.

So, I guess I have a 3rd question: Can I reprogram the key to not lock itself like this? I understand its better for the car to lock itself, but I know I am not to be trusted with myself....

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Phantom-your theory makes sense...and may explain the fact that when I open the driver's door if the car is unlocked(like when its in my garage), the dome light does not come on...if i open any other door, it will come on...so my guess is that the two problems are related....as the car thinks the door does not open, the light wont light...I wonder what this little bug will cost me.

thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.