Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 questions: 1-has anyone locked their keys in their car, and if you did, did you have a local towing company open you up, or did you need a locksmith? 2-have you ever had the following happen?

I was on the road, and stopped for coffee in beautiful Wanatah, IN. I got into my car, and tossed my key on the seat, and grabbed my tire guage to check a tire. while i was checking the tire, the car locked itself. Of course, I had my key, and my cellphone in the car. I found a payphone, and called my Autoclub...I was told I needed a locksmith b/c my car had side airbags, and otherwise, there was risk they would deploy the airbag. They could not provide me with a locksmith. (note to self-cancel auto club :suspicio: ). I went back to the gas station, and they put me in touch with who I thought was a locksmith....turned out to be Delbert, :shock: the local towtruck guy, who was about to pry my doorframe, and use a long stick to try to reach the button to unlock. He made no guarantees this would not cause the airbag to deploy, as he never had to open newer cars(mine is a 2000). I thought better, paid him $20 for coming out, and called my wife to come meet me in beautiful Wanatah with a key.

So, I guess I have a 3rd question: Can I reprogram the key to not lock itself like this? I understand its better for the car to lock itself, but I know I am not to be trusted with myself....

G

·
The only way to prevent your vw from locking the keys inside is to buy a phaeton! oh yes and to answer you first question its really hard to open a passat using conventional methods because the lock mechanism is floating as opposed to being mounted on the door panel wall

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
If you car locked itself then there must be a malfuntion with one of the door switches and the car thinks that the door was never opened.

The alarm has the lock back feature if the door is not opened thirty second after the button is pushed then the car will relock itself.

So if you pressed the unlock button opened the door and the car still locked itself that means that the switch that tells the alarm to disable the lock back feature (because the door was open) is no longer functioning.

I used to be paranoid about the car locking up automatically so I would always roll the window down if I left the engine running.

The paranoia left me untill the other day when me Other car (which is not a passat but is german) locked itself up with the engine running and all the window were up to I am once again paranoid.

·
Registered
611 Posts
That happened to me no matter if the car was running or not. I had a bad door lock switch so if closed the door hard enough it would trigger the auto roll up for the windows and lock the doors. A triple A rep came and slim jimed my car open but it wasnt easy for him , he almost gave. He even told me I should call the dealer and give the vin number so I can get a key. I made him try one more time and he was able to open the car.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Phantom-your theory makes sense...and may explain the fact that when I open the driver's door if the car is unlocked(like when its in my garage), the dome light does not come on...if i open any other door, it will come on...so my guess is that the two problems are related....as the car thinks the door does not open, the light wont light...I wonder what this little bug will cost me.

thanks!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Correct me if I wrong but airbags can not deploy if weight that sits on a seats is less then 50 lbs, and if impact is less then 20 mph. I think its only a theory when people says airbag will deploy if AAA opens a door. AAA opened my door a year ago, and none of the airbags were deployed.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Shiny black I know that is your problem

Here is a good example my girl friend has a 2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara.

Here keyless entry only works sometimes I traced the problem to the drivers door switch.

When she opens the drivers door the dome light does not come on. IF the key is in the ignition if does not beep.

If you open the other doors the dome light comes on.

When I giggle the door switch the dome light will come on and the door chime will beep. Then when I close the doore the keyless entry will work.

If I open her car from the passenger side the keyless entry will work for a while.

But you already said that your dome light does not come on when you open your driver door so that is what your problem is..

The switch is dead.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I believe I have the same problem as you.

I found a write up a while back about it being a broken soldier on a circuit board in the door. It was actually a nice writeoup about how to disassemble your door, and fix the part, but it looked way too involved for my level of expertise.

Anyone else recall seeing that writeup? I'm not sure what site it was on...

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have the same exact problem. If I'm not going be starting the car as soon as I unlock it I have to remember to manually unlock the door from the inside or the alarm goes off.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
MyV6VW said:
I found a write up a while back about it being a broken soldier on a circuit board in the door. It was actually a nice writeoup about how to disassemble your door, and fix the part, but it looked way too involved for my level of expertise.
The explaination of bad door switch and self locking issue sounds about right.
Link here http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/doorlockmechanism/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.