Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 03 back from the dealer, for (among other things) oil smell in the cabin. They replaced the seeping valve cover gasket, but I still have the smell. I've heard that there is a cam seal that leaks on the 1.8t, but I don't know where to look for it. Can anyone tell me where to look to find it so I can check it myself?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Just look for oil in the bay. If it is your cam seal, that is on the back of the block, closest to the firewall. Take a flashlight and start peaking around. Check your turbo too. Possible it could be burning it up. I have been burning oil profusely and it is from my turbo and surrounding area.

You will see oil droppings. Check it out. Even run the car.. pop the hood and look for smoke.

Anything coming out of the exahust? Blue tinted smoke?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car seems to run fine, no smoke, no oil consumption. I had seepage around the valve cover, but they replaced that and it looks like they cleaned up all the oil. So it's still coming from somewhere. It's not dripping oil onto the floor either. I'm going to look around under the hood this weekend and see what I can find with a flashlight (why doesn't a $26k car have a light under the hood?). Hopefully the turbo isn't burning up oil - I don't drive the car terribly hard. I have fun now and then (probably good for it), but mostly just highway cruising between 70 and 80 5-6 days a week for about 45 minutes at a time. But that's what this car was designed to do (why I chose a German car in the first place - gotta be good on the highway, not like the Wrangler :wink:).

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
If you had an oil leak it is possible for the residual to still be burning. The odor can linger for a good time it seems. If the smell is only in your cabin - perhaps the odor is in the cabin filter - replace the cabin filter. Or put the windows down and blast full heat for a while. Air things out.

I hope you dont have any leaking oil. Oil leaks = oil burning = :mad:

Would be a good idea to check though. Around the "tray" (where the leaky VCG woudl have leaked onto) is there oil? Also hate to say it but some folks have had their VWs back to the dealer multiple times for the VCG being installed incorrectly. Some ultimate fixes were valve cover replacements.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts