Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All:

Just wanted to write to share something positive. I just successfully installed a Momo shifter knob on my Tip shifter.

So happy to get rid of that boring, stock knob. No idea what that engineer was thinking when he decided to make that thumb button part of such a sharp interior.

The only time consuming part, for me, was having to re-size the knob so that the adapter would fit inside of it. Apparently some of the Momo knobs are a bit too small for the http://www.supremepowerparts.com adapter to fit. Since I wanted to be sure not to go too far I spent a couple of hours with the dremel carefully resizing. Following that bit 'o' fun, the instructions that the good folks at http://www.neuspeed.com/ included with the knob were very clear.

Well worth the time... ahhh.. little victories are good

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ycharlies said:
post pix please. thanks!
Sure thing... would have snapped a couple last night, but it was kinda late and I forgot to take my camera outside. I'll get a couple after work.

::edit - provided it doesn't decide to "disassemble" mid-drive. Then I might have to drive back down 280 and find where I chucked it out the window :lol:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the final product. As you can see, there is about 1/4" of extra space between the knob and the sleeve, but I am going to leave it as is... That space is due to my inability to get the adapter piece to fit fully, all the way inside the knob. After a couple of hours of working on the fit, I decided I'd better go with what I had, rather than take the chance of going too far and adversely affecting the fit. I'm not completely happy with the look of this knob, so when I replace it I'll work on the fit and get it perfect. I do, however, like it a lot better than the stock piece. Pulling up on the shifter took a little getting used to, but it works great.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rollininstyle2004 said:
The chrome sleve lifts up so if you lift the sleve a little it will minimize that gap. I have a momo knob with the SPP adapter as well. I didnt have to do any modification though :???:
Ah, thanks.. but it's up as far as it will go. Apparently some of the knobs do fit, but this is a newer model, so... <shrug>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.