Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to start this post to see if it is just my bad luck or many others have this many problems. From now on, Im sticking to Japanese until I can afford the German repair schedule.

1998 1.8T Automatic (2nd owner)

by 86,000 miles
A/C compressor died
Door trim on both front doors curling
Transmission - Torque converter issues
Hood alarm sensor
Trunk alarm sensor
Alarm going off by itself
Both Keyfobs destroyed
Valve cover gasket
Rear main seal
Hole in the floor mat
Radio volume knob busted
Can't have fresh air on - would literally kill you with smell
Sunroof opens by itself
Dipstick plastic housing busted
Various hoses

@110,000 miles
Door locks do not work (dealer cant figure it out)
ABS control module died
Cruise Control is touchy (turns off by itself)
Leaking power steering hoses
Valve cover gasket again
Still cannot turn on fresh air in car when stopped

Most things have been replaced / fixed myself. If I had brought this thing to the dealer, it would have cost me over 12,000 bucks!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I must be in the minority, the only things that went wrong on my car has been a key fob stopped working and my gas tank fill cap caused a CEL. Both were promptly fixed while I waited (Two different dealers). I have a 2003 GL with 23000 miles on it after 18 months of ownership. Oh and my clutch slipping with a 1.0 Wett chip (fixed by dropping down to a .8 chip), this may be a big problem later (or sooner according to some other posts).

Paul

·
Registered
191 Posts
Second owner car.....That may explain some of the problems. People treat cars differently....some people are hard on cars...mostly women....never have the thing serviced ect... I have owned two passats ('00) &(03) GLS that I bought new, and I have not had any problems with them. Maybe I`m just lucky :nervous:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Two Passats 00 and an 04. Bought both brand new, They have 70k and 10k respectively. ZERO problems as far as I'm concerned. I've performed all maintenance.

Happy Trails. Sounds like you bought a lemon from someone who didn't take care of the car.

Ryan

·
Registered
234 Posts
coinman said:
Second owner car.....That may explain some of the problems. People treat cars differently....some people are hard on cars...mostly women....never have the thing serviced ect... I have owned two passats ('00) &(03) GLS that I bought new, and I have not had any problems with them. Maybe I`m just lucky :nervous:
Ditto except for the female angle.
I see a lot of dumba$$ male drivers....real macho men that beat the hell out of machinery.
Irresponsible mods and amateur mechanics.
Lots of reasons that you have problems.
Or maybe I've just been lucky for 25 yrs.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
control arms only
few other issues here and there but all of that is normal for 86k miles car ;)

Most of the issues you pointed out are relate to low quality maintance.
few point-outs
1. Bad smell= new cabin filter ( this should be replaced every year in every even Jap car ;) )
2. Valve cover gaket- was it correctly installed the first time? I screwed up the job the first time and I had to redo it after 5k miles. This time it was done perfectly.
3. your leaking power steering hoses are 5 min fix. Replace the clamps with new once - $2 fix. This is common issue on higher milage Passats and A4's.
;)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Decided to start this post to see if it is just my bad luck or many others have this many problems. From now on, Im sticking to Japanese until I can afford the German repair schedule.
No problems on my car so far ('99 1.8T 5-speed, 87K miles). The first owner was a woman, but the car came with a big ol' stack of receipts for maintenance so I don't think it was neglected. Looking through her reciepts though indicated she may have had problems with the brakes, and had all the brakes replaced at around 39K miles. The odd thing about this transaction was that she was from Michigan and the brakes went out and were repaired in North Carolina, so I don't know if it was a real problem or if the service shop (was like a Midas or Tuffy brake service place) took advantage of her. With 87K on the clock now, the pads still have more than 50% pad left, so who knows. :shrugs:

I got 61K miles out of my OEM brakes on my '98 GTI VR6, so I really have no idea if this was "about right" for a Passat or not. I have a buddy with a New Beetle that had to replace his at 28K, though...

I think you just got a hold of a poorly maintained car. Sorry about your luck. :shock:

Thanks,
Don Zielke
'99 Passat 1.8T/5-spd/DV/N75, Chip & 18's on the way!

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
36k miles, and not a single problem.

I have a rattling in the front left, and a new noise coming from the front right, but other than that, its been A-OK!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Based on his problems it looks like his car may have been caught in a flood :poke: :thumbdow:

Door trim on both front doors curling
Hood alarm sensor
Trunk alarm sensor
Alarm going off by itself
Can't have fresh air on - would literally kill you with smell
Sunroof opens by itself
Door locks do not work (dealer cant figure it out)
ABS control module died
Cruise Control is touchy (turns off by itself)
Still cannot turn on fresh air in car when stopped

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.