Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering how many of you are using Linux.

if so, which version are you using and do you think it would be worth giving a try?

im just so sick of how insecure windows is and i want to give something else a try

TIA :wink:

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I tried it once, and the version I got didn't really ship with much in the way of drivers.....so I ended up without internet because of my strange 3rd party networking card, no printer, no sound, and I doubt I got very good video card drivers.

Then I went to try to reformat the Linux partition and then recombine it with the Windows partition, and then it wiped the whole hard drive :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

God did that suck......I don't think I wanna run Linux for the fear of it imploding my computer like that again, I've got a Dell, rather than a home-made computer, so its not as good for modifying, and I run a lot of videogames and programs that I doubt have Linux versions.....

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I'll be running linux this fall on my old pc, but its more for networking and server applications than home computing. Very stable though. I last ran linux back in 1997, I had good success with it but missed my computer games. You can always try Lindows before MS tries to rid of it.

·
wishin
3,664 Posts
What I have at home
-------------------------

I run Linux Red Hat 9.0 with Kernel 2.6.3. It's a 900mhz box with 256M of RAM. It's an HP Pavilion and the only thing that didn't work out of the box was sound. Had to download the driver for that. Everything else though worked out of the box.

I also have a Laptop (old NEC) and everything was working on it as well right out of the box (including the Linksys wireless pcmcia card).

I bought my wife a brand new Pavilion with Windows XP. She tried Linux but didn't care for it; plus American Greetings Creata-Card doesn't run on Linux (one of the apps she uses the most).

Why I use Linux
-------------------
For me it's really fun. One way I've explained it to other ppl in the past is if you think of WinAmp or some other "Skinnable" application. Linux to me is the ultimate in "Skinnable". It's not just the app you're changing the look and feel to, but the entire operating system.

Why and for what I still use Windows
---------------------------------------------
I use the Windows box for Dreamweaver. That is the only reason I switch back to it. And I also use Windows at work; but even at work my machine is dual boot (RedHat as well) and I have a VxWorks desktop now (see below).

Keep in mind I have nothing against windows even though I'll trash talk it from time to time and I have a "Windows Will Crash" sticker at work. In reality I must thank Mr. Bill because I was a Windows developer for the last 7 years (i.e. you could say he put food on my table). Just recently have I migrated to an embedded software team where we use VxWorks (unix like operating system).

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Many users find that their first few experiences with Linux can be frustrating. Driver issues are still my biggest complaint with Linux. That said, I find it to be far more stable in the long run, and alot more dynamic. Also most of the software for linux is free!

If you are going to try linux, be patient. You may want to consider starting with a product called Lindows, which is a linux dirtibution that is very similar to windows in look and feel, and runs some windows programs by way of a windows emulator called wine. That will flatten your learning curve a bit, and allow you to tinker a little, so that you can ease your way into it.

I originally started linux with Mandrake, but am now using a distribution called Suse, which is very popular in Europe.

I also note that windows can also be a good OS if you know what you are doing, and I use it at home for stuff like posting to clubb5. Of course i also have a machine at home that I leave in my DMZ specifically to get hacked and infected, so that I can study the effects, but hey, I'm a geek.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok Booradley maybe you can help. i just downloaded RedHat 9.0 and when i went to instal it it froze while saying "seting up driver OHC 1394. i thought maybe this was something i could diseable in the BIOS but i was wrong.
maybe i have to wait a few minutes for the screen to go away? but there is no CD rom or hardrive activity.

let me know what you think

thanks

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Well it's obvious that there is a problem with your hardware and Redhat's 1394 driver. I have never used Redhat before, so I am by no means an expert.

I would suggest trying to load it again. If that doesn't work burn the iso you downloaded onto another cd and try that, if that doesn't work, I'd just try another distribution (mandrake, suse, debian, there are alot).

That's one of the beauties of linux, there are several distribuions, each with thier own strengths and quirks, and you may find one works better with your hardware than others.

Good luck, and happy hacking!

jim

·
Registered
551 Posts
another vote for Mandrake here, just getting into it...

here is the best site for comparing and contrasting the various linux distributions... this page in particular was helpful...

--> http://www.distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

good luck. mandrake has been very easy to get used to...

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
what do you want to do with linux?

I run freebsd and find it more sane, overall; and nearly has much hardware support as linux.

unless someone really needs -linux-; ie, if they just want a windows alternative that is unix-like, I suggest getting freebsd (iso's are on the net) and trying it.

pro: the most stable unix out there, bar none. much more secure than linux (much much more than windows)
con: not as much bleeding-edge support for the very latest hardware.

freebsd also has linux emulation (better than it sounds), so you can run native linux binaries on bsd. like mozilla, for example.

I do run linux, but I suggest to people who are looking for a change - to give freebsd a try. go thru an install, and if that doesn't work, then go ahead and play with a linux distro or two. (yes, that's life, and that's how it goes with free os's).

freebsd.org is THE place to start.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
also, I'll add that I run a mix of the two (linux and bsd) in my shop. for the workstation, I use linux. for compute serving and network stuff, I use freebsd.

I could actually use freebsd as my workstation, too, just as fine; but I choose to run a mix, just to stay in touch with the latest linux kernels and stuff. but I could be 100% freebsd if I wanted to, and not miss anything real other than the experience of using linux.

fwiw.

·
wishin
3,664 Posts
Just realized I lied in my original post. I also switch to Windows for DVD Shrink. So that's two apps I use at home on Windows.

I also didn't mention the fact that I use Linux as my web server, ftp server etc etc server....which is why I switched to it in the first place. I was using IIS (Windows) and was getting bombarded with worms etc and having to reboot about once a week.

OHCI 1394 is your firewire driver. This happened to me at work as well. I had to make sure I had the firewire card unpluged (this is on a laptop where the firewire ports were on a pcmcia card) before booting. After the system came up I could insert the card etc.

Once I upgraded the kernel the problem went away. In other words the default kernel that ships with RedHat 9 has an issue apparently with firewire. Never looked into it much (again, since I upgrade right away and it disappeared).

Being that you're new to Linux I wouldn't suggest trying to upgrade your kernel just yet.....I'd have to agree with the others and say try another distrubution.....like it's been said before, that's one of the great things about it...you're not tied to one "company". Don't like a flavor of one, try another.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
the flavor of one or the other sounds good, in theory.

it does.

but in fact, it causes splintering that leads to a less optimal system.

this distro uses glibc blah-1 and that distro uses blah-2. they make other choices, too. it drove me nuts! and even redhat6 to 7 to (more than 7) was annoying and inconvenient.
(I still run redhat6.2 with many many updates, my own selection). but I'm not sure I'd choose redhat anymore, given how they've changed and some of the decisions they made from the old days..

with freebsd, there is ONE. no bickering or project forks or 'distros' to worry about. it sounds confining, but its not really. it just means its a REAL community effort, not a set of splintered ones like in the linux world.

anyway, WM, the msg:

"seting up driver OHC 1394..

when that comes on the screen, you say your machine just hangs? for many minutes?

·
wishin
3,664 Posts
linux-works....you are correct. This is a recognized issue and there are several efforts to my knowledge trying to address this. One is http://www.linuxbase.org which as the mission statement says:

To develop and promote a set of standards that will increase compatibility among Linux distributions and enable software applications to run on any compliant system. In addition, the LSB will help coordinate efforts to recruit software vendors to port and write products for Linux.

As for BSD I think the best implementation of it is MAC OS X :lol: Actually I've read articles before that said things like "MAC OS X, the BSD/Linux distro all the rest strive to be". From the little I've looked into the new MAC I have to admit it is pretty sweet. Too bad the hardware is so darn expensive! Probably the main reason I've stayed with Linux.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I know a little bit about the mac version of bsd.

its not complete. not in terms of the off-the-shelf ports that are there for the freebsd side.

freebsd means, pretty much, x86. intel and amd. (netbsd means '*' and openbsd means security). so for the best coverage of ports (source level installables) and packages (prebuilt installables, like RPMs, in a way) freebsd is more mature than apple's bsd.

but, apple has ITS new fancy apps. and the bsd guys don't have them (maybe never will).

if you need fancy colors and shading and disney look/feel, go apple. but at the heart of 98% of it, their bsd is 'our' bsd, too.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
yeah I'm running a version of BSD too. ;)

Sad thing about Mac OS X is the investment involved. Unfortunately you can't just download the latest version and install it on your PC... maybe one day.

I've tinkered on several varieties of linux, and BSD - for webserving I like my BSDs, its just what I'm used to. However, at work we are using redhat 8 or something and so far I have not had any issues with the adjustment... but you are interested in consumer/interface/un-windows stuff, not that server mumbo-jumbo. :)

Honestly I have yet to find an interface/OS package that suites my needs better than Mac OS X. It is efficient; that's what I'm looking for. Sure there aren't as many games available for mac as for pc, but I believe it is easier to go 100% mac than to go 100% linux... although the price of entry might be out of reach for some. Nobody wants to ditch their current top of the line PC for a mac just so they can try out the OS coz somebody on a discussion board said it rocked. I guess that's where linux comes in.

I suggest trying out the free stuff first. Give BSD a shot. Give Linux a shot - the true test is to see how long you can go without going back to windows for something.

I don't even have a windows machine at home (and the one at work annoys me). :D

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
life would be simple for me. it would. apple, please let other companies play in the manuf sandbox (really) and lower your prices so they are at least in the SAME GODDAMN BALLPARK as equiv pcs from the amd/intel camp. I can't justify a shiny cool new mac at
those highway robbery prices. oh, and get with the program, companies ship with 3button mice, MINIMUM. minumum, that's before taxes, and gratuities and, and...

I have all the mac engine, for fee, but just none of its shiny red carnuba wax top.

for free, I can kind of live with that.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
linux-works said:

when that comes on the screen, you say your machine just hangs? for many minutes?

yes it just hangs, i let it sit for about 5 minutes last night, am i just being impatient?

thanks everyone for your input, i really appreciate the help

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
wheelmiester said:
linux-works said:

yes it just hangs, i let it sit for about 5 minutes last night, am i just being impatient?

thanks everyone for your input, i really appreciate the help
ok, so next question, do you have fireware in your pc?

do you have devices connected?

disconnect them when you install the o/s. really.

I once had redhat (I think it was) hang on me just like yours when I had my camera (canopus video) connected. no joke, the bios got confused (or the o/s when it was installing) and I joke that 'linux tried to install itself on a video camera!' ;) ;)

so disconnect any devices on that bus. that fixed the installer for me.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Kiyoshi said:
I tried it once, and the version I got didn't really ship with much in the way of drivers.....so I ended up without internet because of my strange 3rd party networking card, no printer, no sound, and I doubt I got very good video card drivers.

Then I went to try to reformat the Linux partition and then recombine it with the Windows partition, and then it wiped the whole hard drive :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

God did that suck......I don't think I wanna run Linux for the fear of it imploding my computer like that again, I've got a Dell, rather than a home-made computer, so its not as good for modifying, and I run a lot of videogames and programs that I doubt have Linux versions.....
linux has live cd's that you can boot from and run from and it won't touch your hard drive if you don't want it to.

always try a live cd distro first.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts