Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new Passat a few weeks back, but the alignment was badly off. Took it to my selling dealer and they tried to align the car twice without success. Can I go to another dealer to redo the alignment or do I have to go back to the 1st dealer? I know when I owned domestic brands, you were allowed only 1 wheel alignment during the first 12 months/12,000 miles. Can someone clarify? Don't want to go to a 2nd dealer and have them tell me that I must pay for the alignment since it was already done at the 1st dealership. Thanks.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
There are some difficult parts of the alignment, most notably the raised toe. Not everyone pays attention to this spec. I concur with Kenny, take it to a specialized VW shop - if you have to pay for it, you are at least aligned, and if it won't align, you have a second opinion in your pocket to approack VWoA with.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
atomicalex said:
There are some difficult parts of the alignment, most notably the raised toe.
Can you elaborate on this .. what is *raised toe* am familiar with toe in and thats all I saw in the IBE specs .. or is it one in the same?

Also a comment on the dealer not being able to align.. if they can't do it they should be able to contract it out to someone who can and still have warrany cover it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'd think that limitations do not apply at this point since you seem to have not yet had one SUCCESSFUL alignment, yes?

Locally (DC Metro), the service group @ Martens in Bethesda seems to get some love from local VW owners....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The car was off center from the moment I picked up the car with 35 miles on it, 2 weeks ago. Took it for an extended trip and now has 1500 miles on it. Since the car is new, and the adjustment warranty is suppose to cover things like wheel alignments, I thought taking it to a 2nd dealer would resolve the problem. I guess I need to contact VWoA to file a complaint first and then see if I can take it to Martens as few have recommended.

The wheel was at 11 O'clock originally, then after the 1st alignment, the steering wheel was at 10 O'clock, now it's between 11 and 12, but still off a bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.