Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2003 Passat 1.8T AWM w/FWD automatic trans. I have a leak that appears to be in the area of the passenger axle flange. I cleaned the area with acetone to help trace the leak and after driving some the area is a little shiny, but I'm still not 100%. It appears to be a super slow leak. Here's a pic:

I checked in ETKA exploded view for the axle and identified what I thought could be the seal for my car in the exploded view but it says "not a spare part for this model". This pic from ETKA 407-25:

I did some searching in this forum which suggests there is an axle seal that can be replaced so maybe that is the wrong part above? Of the several part numbers mentioned in various threads one is quite common 01V 409 399 so I searched for that in ETKA and found it listed for automatic both FWD and AWD in a different exploded view. This pic from ETKA 409-57:

Yet ecs wants to sell me 016 409 399 B as compatible but as far as I can tell from ETKA that's for manual not automatic. Has anyone with B5 automatic FWD done this replacement on the passenger side and know what the right part number is? Also I need to know what other parts are required. From what I could gather triple squares (have em) and axle bolt and gear oil? How about for the seal did any of you need to buy a special puller/inserter or do it manually?

I found a great DIY on the driver's side (was here, moved here). In contrast the passenger side appears to be pretty straightforward though I haven't found a DIY for it, does anyone have one? (edit: I found a DIY on the axle replacement but not on the seal itself)

For torque values so far I have:
Axle bolt: m16 axle bolt 140 ft-lbs + half turn or for m14 axle bolt 85 ft-lbs + half turn.
Flange bolts: 10 ft-lbs in star pattern, then 57 ft-lbs in star pattern.
Bolt going into differential flange housing that must be removed: No idea

·
Registered
26,105 Posts
I don't remember the size, but they are both used on the ZF trans. I think the 1st 3 digits are simply an Audi vs VW vs Porsche part difference. I know many of the parts I bought from Audi for my Passat had the 1st 3 numbers slightly different. As far as replacement, it's pretty simple after the axle is pulled. I don't know the torque on that bolt either.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts