Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my V6 passat is due for a timing belt change within the next few weeks. While doing some research I heard that for every pound saved on the pulley, 2.7 hp was liberated. If this is true, would it be worth buying for 140$ since while doing the timing belt, it wouldnt be too far away?
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Passat_B5-FWD-V6_30v/Engine/Pulleys/ES3090/

Thanks
Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
The main advantage of the lightweight pulley is the reduced rotational mass, it lets things spin up a bit faster. The HP gains on a NA car will probably be fairly minimal (if any at all) in terms of HP, but you may notice the motor revs a bit quicker. You are correct on location, doing the timing belt and pulley at the same time will cut down on the work load, you will have direct access to the pulley when doing the timing belt job.

·
Registered
265 Posts
So my V6 passat is due for a timing belt change within the next few weeks. While doing some research I heard that for every pound saved on the pulley, 2.7 hp was liberated. If this is true, would it be worth buying for 140$ since while doing the timing belt, it wouldnt be too far away?
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Passat_B5-FWD-V6_30v/Engine/Pulleys/ES3090/

Thanks
Any advice would be appreciated!
This is just my advice/personal experience.

I have one, but had I known what I know now, I wouldn't have gotten one... definitely not at that price at least (P.S I think there is someone selling one for cheaper in the classifieds)

The pulley from ECS tuning has a design flaw (at least for sure mine does). Its hard to explain, but if you were to see then side by side, you would definitely notice it. The best way I can explain it, is the mounting surface of the ECS pulley slants outward from the mounting bolts, while the stock one kind of juts out, and then flattens out. Not only that, but the timing marks on the stock pulley DO NOT match up with the ones on the ECS pulley (not an issue if you never have to do the TBelt again, you keep the stock pulley OR you make a new timing mark with a file)

The aforementioned design flaw will cause the pulley to rub in the center timing belt cover and create a horrible squealing noise & potentially a loss in performance. You can solve this issue by using a dremel tool or a circular sanding tool to grind down the inner circumference of the TBelt housing.

For an extra 20$ there is an alternative pulley from another site (I don't remember which) which I have verified works correctly. If you search the web I'm sure you will find it.

Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts