Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Lights, Camera, action: New rims anyone?

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Flippped 
G
#1 ·
#5 ·
implying extra lift???

#8 ·
rollininstyle2004 said:
That looks like fun, i wonder what kind of suspension they are running to be able to withstand that drop back to the ground :roll:
Rally cars are based on production cars i.e. using the same actual production body/frame but strenghtened a lot. For example, our cars have tack welded joints but for a rally car, they bead weld the whole joint or skin. They also double up on some of the walls specially where the suspension points are located plus addition of stress bars. In some cases, or the more exotic ones use a hybrid composite pieces (carbon fiber/kevlar/titanum mix).

#9 ·
sometimes they have lots of round tubes, sometimes interconnected, all throughout as well!

#11 ·
powerslide23 said:
rollininstyle2004 said:
That looks like fun, i wonder what kind of suspension they are running to be able to withstand that drop back to the ground :roll:
Rally cars are based on production cars i.e. using the same actual production body/frame but strenghtened a lot. For example, our cars have tack welded joints but for a rally car, they bead weld the whole joint or skin. They also double up on some of the walls specially where the suspension points are located plus addition of stress bars. In some cases, or the more exotic ones use a hybrid composite pieces (carbon fiber/kevlar/titanum mix).
Cool thanx :bow:

#13 ·
Kiyoshi said:
Still wondering why a Ford Focus is a good platform to make a rally car off of...
what would you think is a better car in the ford lineup? small, 4-cylinder up front, presumable a stiff unibody and decent suspension design (not that much of it is used for the race setup).

i'd guess it's also a good platform car to push seeing that the focus is ford's world car. think of that NASCAR saying "race on sunday sell on monday" and then apply it to the WRC-watching poplulation around the world.

#15 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.