Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the lightest 15" or 16" rim that works with our Passats?

I'm loving my Adelaides (15.5 lbs reputedly) with Bridgestone Turanzas (total ~36 lbs) and wondering how much lighter I could get the wheels, for ultimate ride comfort. As you know less unsprung weight means the suspension can react faster to the road, yielding better grip and a smoother ride. Less rotational intertia allows the wheels, hence the car, to accelerate and decelerate faster. Each pound in the wheel is worth many times its weight in the body.

I see OZ Superleggera's have 15" (10 lbs!) and 16's (14.5 lbs), but they aren't the correct bolt pattern. Same with Volk's - TE37's are around 10 lbs too, but not the correct bolt pattern.

While I'm on the subject of light weight, are there any lighter aftermarket brake systems?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
17" Flik TDR's are 14.7 lbs each... edgeracing.com

IMO 17" is the best all around performance size. Still comfortable, can be light, great tire choices, cost's are reasonable still for both wheels and tires.

·
Registered
80 Posts
glyphin said:
What's the lightest 15" or 16" rim that works with our Passats?

I'm loving my Adelaides (15.5 lbs reputedly) with Bridgestone Turanzas (total ~36 lbs) and wondering how much lighter I could get the wheels, for ultimate ride comfort. As you know less unsprung weight means the suspension can react faster to the road, yielding better grip and a smoother ride. Less rotational intertia allows the wheels, hence the car, to accelerate and decelerate faster. Each pound in the wheel is worth many times its weight in the body.

I see OZ Superleggera's have 15" (10 lbs!) and 16's (14.5 lbs), but they aren't the correct bolt pattern. Same with Volk's - TE37's are around 10 lbs too, but not the correct bolt pattern.

While I'm on the subject of light weight, are there any lighter aftermarket brake systems?

Cheers

Check this link for a Huge list of all kinds of wheel weights.

http://www.gti-vr6.net/library/wheels_tires_brakes/wheels_weight/wheels2_15.html

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wheelweights.net

Yup, I've seen the list... I know that Volk TE-37's have the wrong fitment and don't work with our Passats (5x112) - they work with Honda/Acura, I think 5x100.

I was hoping somebody would know what wheels specifically work with Passats. I guess I could go through that list and figure out their fitments one by one. Chances are none of them are 5x112. :???:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.