Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
IF you are fwd you can just stick with a 228mm setup.

How much power are you making?

BTW a clutch/flywheel are the last place you want to go cheap seeing that it cost nearly as much just to have them installed.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
I think the biggest variable here is how it's driven. If you're not the type that launches very often, a 228 mm setup would probably work fine on a Quattro as well. It seems that the only people who really blow clutches are the ones that are trying to launch a 3400 lb AWD car with a 1.8l engine. Like you said to David in the Audizine Clutchmasters thread, the rated tq limits are with the clutch fully released/engaged, not what a clutch will take on drop launches.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Your post links over to an aluminum flywheel RA1 Stage 1 Kit, while the aluminum flywheel is lighter, this is our best selling upgraded clutch kit for the B5 at $599.95

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen...&utm_content=postreply&utm_campaign=postreply

That is a Stage 1 Kit using the steel RA4 Flywheel which is still considerably lighter than the stock setup, but not as light as the aluminum. There will be a large amount of chatter using the aluminum flywheel, so typically suggest the steel kits. They tend not to chatter and are also quite a bit less expensive than the aluminum kits. We typically see extremely high horsepower cars use the aluminum kits, with more daily driven cars using the steel kits.

The Stage 1 Kit uses an OEM S4 pressure plate and disc while the Stage 2 Kit uses an OEM RS4 pressure plate and disc. It will really all depend on what your horsepower needs are, but the Stage 2 Kit will hold 380hp.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I think the biggest variable here is how it's driven. If you're not the type that launches very often, a 228 mm setup would probably work fine on a Quattro as well. It seems that the only people who really blow clutches are the ones that are trying to launch a 3400 lb AWD car with a 1.8l engine. Like you said to David in the Audizine Clutchmasters thread, the rated tq limits are with the clutch fully released/engaged, not what a clutch will take on drop launches.
Correct. Also on a quattro car you need more clutch then compared to a FWD car since it is so much easier to spin the tires on the FWD car, so there is actually less load on the driveline.

When it comes to flywheels. Like the 6 speed transverse cars, the longitude transmissions will have plenty of gear rattle the lighter the flywheel. Dont want any gear rattle it is best to stick with a flywheel that is over 17+ lbs.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Then go with the stage 3 S4 disk. At this point you have the choice to go either 228 or 240mm. May as well go with the 240mm and you're covered for sure.

Mike's right about the not doing it twice aspect. My GTRS elim is probably only putting 300 or so ft/lb, so I could have gotten away with a SPEC stage 2+ but I just had a feeling that I was probably going to get the itch to go bigger so I got the stage 3+ that's clutch is rated to 510 ft/lb (very similar to the ECS stage 3, just mine's a 228mm). Now that I'm doing a build with a a 60-1 T3/T4 I'm not stuck having to upgrade.

Had it not been for the fact that I practically stole a 9 lb flywheel on the classifieds I probably would have gone 240mm for the reasons I illustrated above. However I'm quite happy with my setup as is. It was just a matter of circumstance.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Stree tires and fwd? If so then you want to spend some money on a good clutch setup.

You can get away with something like the CM FX400 on a 228 setup but most likely better going with a 240mm clutch/flywheel setup like the FX400 which is rated for 675 ft lbs.

CM 228mm Clutch/flywheel package

CM 240mm Clutch/flywheel package

If you want the ultimate clutch for the longitude 1.8t, check out the CM FX850 Super Single
This is the clutch the BAT A4 1.8t owners are using. I even have one on my 650awhp A4.

If you dont want to spend that much money I might have a rebuilt one I can get you for about $1000.

Here is a few pictures of the custom FX850 Super Single from CM.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ahhh lots to think about now lol i like the look of the ecs cluth kit the steel one it looks like a really good complete kit

1 - 13 of 13 Posts