Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
91,778 miles. Don't ask me how I know. Car is 120 miles away on the south side of Michigan. Waiting until the day after Christmas to hear the prognosis.

No physical mechanical noise upon breaking. Just one minute I was doing 85 mph on I-94 and the next minute -- silence.

APR chip was installed at roughly 8,000 miles.

Jim

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
chipped or not doesn't matter. the timing belts in the 1.8Ts, as well as the V6s, need to be changed regularly. the general consensus for the 1.8T seems to be every 80k miles, and the V6 is supposed to be changed every 75K miles

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
If I was a 1.8T owner and could DIY I would do it every 40-60k personally. Its really easy. Are you sure the belt broke, if it did and you were doing 80, I would no be surprised if there was valve and piston damage. More then likely you are looking at a big chunk of change.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
the V6 is 75K - says so under the hood and in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yep i've got a chipped one and am preparing to replace the T-belt in the next lil' bit here. I made a thread a bit ago and was advised to purchase a kit from ECS-tuning as they are of great quality.

My question is this, ECS offers an Ultimate kit for about $259.00 which includes:

Timing Belt
OE Updated Tensioner
OE Tensioner Roller
OE Idler Roller
Hepu Metal OE Water Pump (half) with gasket
Behr OE Thermostat with O-ring
Conti-Tech A/C Belt
Conti-Tech P/S Belt
Conti-Tech Alternator Belt

Now ECS-Tuning also offers the same ultimate kit w/a lightweight pulley for $332.00...Do you think this lightweight pulley is worth the extra money? Do you think everything in the kit is necessary? The engine has about 60k on it and i'd like to be safe rather then sorry so i'm replacing a few things during break before i head back to college next semester. What do ya think..Lightweight pulley worth the upgrade??

·
Registered
44 Posts
SAME thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago in my aug with 100,467. I've only had the car for a couple months but I'm well versed in vw timing belts. Long story short, it was my father's car and I would have been doing the belt last weekend but it didn't make it to then. My belt didn't break per say.... the teeth fell off and the crank spun. I was going about 70.... All 20 valves hit and did a number on the pistons as well. After enough people telling me that there would be a lot of extra problems with the pistons I decided to replace them as well. I was told that hotspots from the piston damage would cause predetonation and likely the ring gaps would be compromised causing the rings to be pinched and wear out fast. I swapped pistons with the block in the car and had a AWM head partially rebuilt by a local machine shop. Here's what the pistons looked like.... I'm willing to bet you're looking at something like this:

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
91k is not bad. i've heard of failures in the 60s. if you're the original owner, and have all the pertinent maintenance records, then vw might replace the tb under warranty.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
the performance increase with the lightweight pulley isn't that much, but honestly, for $50 more, i'd probably go for it.

now's the time to get it if you wanted one.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all.

The damage to the pistons above looks minimal to me but I'm guessing this is what happened to me. I heard no mechanical noise however when the engine power dropped out.

On the road-side, I marked the timing belt by pulling the cover and turned the engine over. The starter spins but the belt didn't move. That tells me it is the belt, I am quite sure.

I have done all my own service but only had the timing belt checked once...at 40k miles...so I'm not so confident about being covered.

Additionally, the boost gage on the a-pillar and the chipped mode will likely cause a fight that will be difficult to win (to argue this did not shorten life from 105,000 miles to 92,000 miles).

More to follow after I talk to the dealership on Tuesday.

Damn.

Jim

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
if you have a flashed chip, as opposed to a physical chip, go back to the chip vendor and have them flash it to stock. if you have a phyiscal chip with a socket, then switch the chip to the stock one. and remove the boost gauge.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,509 Posts
My local indy advocates a 60k mi / 100k km or 6-year timing belt change interval. I would push that only if I did mostly open road cruising.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I'm a believer in 60k on either.
Maybe, its because I've had 2 wps fail before 75k on the v6 (~70k on one 20k on the other, thankfully, i caught the noise before the wp seized). The second was the the upgraded one. The V6 pumps are poo.
60k on the 1.8T with the bad tensioner, at least, dunno about the updated one.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As it turned out, I'm a lucky guy.

The dealership (Maple Hill Auto Group) in Kalamazoo, MI replaced the cylinder head and timing belt (& tensioner, belt-damper, roller, gaskets) under the 2001 VW Passat powertrain warranty (the car came with 2-year Bumper-to-bumper warranty and 100,000 mile powertrain warranty). They said that I was covered only because I was the original owner of the car.

The dealership took several days longer than expected. I'm not sure if that is why they overlooked my a-pillar boost gauge and TT exhaust, but they did.

I was hopeful that my APR chip would revert to stock when they disconnected the battery for the repair.....but apparently they didn't so when I drove the car from the dealership after the repair....the boost still spiked to 18 psi, so apparently the technician decided to ignore this or never noticed it (hard not to when the gage is on the a-pillar) after his 6 minute, 2 mile 'test drive' per the invoice.

The better news -- this summer I replaced my accessory drive belt up front as the dealership said it was due for replacement (but it looked fine) and I was hoping that it would quiet the front-end noise emitting from the engine. Well after the accessory belt replacement the noise level did not change, but after changing the timing belt, tensioner, damper, etc, the noise levels are significantly reduced outside of the car during idling. By a huge amount, such that the car almost sounds new again. I truly hated the sound of my engine recently while idling on the driveway, so apparently, this is something to be aware of, if you engine is making similar sounds. Not sure if the failure and the sound were related as I didn't get to talk to the technician after the repair.

p.s. VW doesn't call for anything to be done for the pistons so were left as-is.

Until my next major issue -- thanks again.

Jim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts