Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried changing my license plate today (new vanity plate) and the idiot dealer had originally used screws that were not rust proof. While removing 2 of the 4 screws two of them broke off in the trunk lid. Is there any way to remove the portion of the trunk the screws are threaded into? I tried unscrewing the mounting holes using a pair of vise grips but they only move slightly and they bend pretty easily. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I feel your pain... Had one of the two top one break off on me this year. Since I had mounts for both 7 and 8 1/4" on the trunk lid, I just redrilled my license plate.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yhee, i have the 8.25 holes as well but i have a plate frame that won't drill. I am going to try and drill out the old screws. Will post my results.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I tried the demaged screw bits from sears, but it didn't work because my screw was so rusted. So, i grabbed my dremel, and I carefully removed outside material of the nut, the lip. After removing the lip, I was able to pull out the remaining part of the nut from inside of the truck. After that, I went to the dealer to see if they sell the same nut, and they do carry it. its part number is n-907-667-01. However, the part guy said that i need a special tool to install it because you need to crush the end of the nut in order to fix it to the truck. anyway, he said that i should bring the nut when i come here for service because they can install it in a matter of minutes.

So, here is it. it seems that when you have a broken crew and nothing seems to be working, all you have to do is grab a dremel and go to dealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts