Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 99 since late 98 and it is near pristine. Twice I have had the rear bumper cover replaced and painted due to folks using my car as a parallel parking guage. Recently I got another pair of dimples from someones license plate bolts. Is there any solution other than replacement and repainting. Any magic filler material etc.?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Nothing to add but a bit of commiserating and a subscription to the thread... I got a couple sets of those the first week I had the car (cry).

If you don't mind, what did it cost you to get the bumper re-sprayed?

·
Registered
964 Posts
just get a rear brush guard.... i had the same thing happen to me at my dealership, one day im waxing my car and magically " orchard park, ny" appears backwards in my bumper....this is what is on the top of our liscence plate frames...let me tell you, i backed up to every car in the lot to see which car was the right height....anyways long story short people are f*cking jerks , and where going to have to learn to deal with it i guess !

-deez

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
Fogey -

Sorry to hear about the mishap. I creased my rear bumper and cracked the chrome trim when I *gulp* backed into a concrete barrier in the company parking garage one day. I had 1,000 miles on the car.

At any rate, I found a place in the Chicago suburbs that actually does airbrush paint repair. I got quoted around $550 from two different body shops and these guys were able to fill and respray the affected area for $90 out the door.

The paint is an excellent match and it has stood up to 10k miles and several washes and rains since then. If you can find an airbrush place near you, I would recommend talking to them. I know there's an Aero-Colours near Bakersfield and West Hollywood and LA and Long Beach and a few others, but I'm not sure if that works for you or not.

edit: for clarification, I used a company called "Carnica", not Aero-Colours. I only mentioned A-C because I found them quickly on a web search.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Fogey said:
I have had my 99 since late 98 and it is near pristine. Twice I have had the rear bumper cover replaced and painted due to folks using my car as a parallel parking guage. Recently I got another pair of dimples from someones license plate bolts. Is there any solution other than replacement and repainting. Any magic filler material etc.?
you could try "langka"
http://www.langka.com/

·
Registered
752 Posts
I too feel your pain...I have a nice little one on my bumper...damn thing is so symetrical, it almost looks stock ;) Assholes

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
do 2 things...

Get the 3M Clear Bra paint protection film. It was already on the front of my car when I bought it used, and I ordered a pre-cut back bumper kit from www.clearmask.com

Also, there are those bumper protectors that hang from your trunk. It's like a foam piece that hangs down from your trunk over your bumper. I think you just close your trunk on the straps and it stays in place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts