Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/04/06/libby-leaker060406.html

"The documents, filed by prosecutors in that case, say Libby told a grand jury that Bush and Cheney cleared him to leak information during the run-up to the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in 2003."

Hmmm... interesting. So... who should W fire?? Dick? Scooter? or.... "restore integrity and honor to a White House"

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
"We will find out who leaked the classified information."

I guess we will. :D

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
""There are too many leaks of classified information in Washington. There's leaks at the executive branch, there's leaks in the legislative branch, there's just too many leaks. I want -- and if there's a leak out of the administration, I want to know who it is. And if a person has violated law, the person will be taken care of."

George W. Bush - Sept. 2003

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
upshot said:
""There are too many leaks of classified information in Washington. There's leaks at the executive branch, there's leaks in the legislative branch, there's just too many leaks. I want -- and if there's a leak out of the administration, I want to know who it is. And if a person has violated law, the person will be taken care of."

George W. Bush - Sept. 2003
OK let's get control. Leaking info is not necessarily a crime. The report doesn't say that he leaked or approved the leak of V. Plame. Some of you are reading something into it that is not there.

By the way, the President has the authority to declassify most information. So if he did, it wouldn't be leaking classified information.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Sciteach said:
OK let's get control. Leaking info is not necessarily a crime. The report doesn't say that he leaked or approved the leak of V. Plame. Some of you are reading something into it that is not there.

By the way, the President has the authority to declassify most information. So if he did, it wouldn't be leaking classified information.
The report directly says georgie approved the leak, leaking the identity of a covert CIA agent is in fact a crime dude. The vindictive stupid little putz f'ed up. He thought he could do anything, get anyone and quiet any opposition to his illegal war. But now he'll pay the price. The only down side is that with cheney in charge we'll invade Iran before the year is out.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sciteach said:
So that makes it 'okay'?? What do you think the american people should think of him if he were to stand up under oath and say "I declassified that information to promote my war". What if he were to stand up under oath and deny it? I can just see it now: "I did not have leaking relations with that man"

It all points to the fact that this president has led us into an impossible war by means of manipulation. Legal or not it's time to admit it....

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
ct47 said:
The report directly says georgie approved the leak, leaking the identity of a covert CIA agent is in fact a crime dude. The vindictive stupid little putz f'ed up. He thought he could do anything, get anyone and quiet any opposition to his illegal war. But now he'll pay the price. The only down side is that with cheney in charge we'll invade Iran before the year is out.
Hey, asshat, try reading the report before you spew your BS.

CBC said:
The new documents say nothing about Libby's role in leaking Plame's identity, although he is accused of passing the information to at least one reporter.
:p

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Plame thing remains 'unsolved' but, this indicates that W and D were 'in the mood' to release a leak on any 'doubters'.

Interesting how we can to go to war, spend millions, kill thousands, all on inferences but when others infer how we went to war.... now that's just rediculious and stupid!

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
jimbob said:
sciteach, clean that kool-aid off your chin, or have you been sucking up to W again?
So correcting a false statement makes me a kool aid drinker. Typical lameness from Jimbob.:thumbup:

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
Sciteach, how would you react if Teddy Kennedy were accused of this (or similar) instead of W?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
poohbear said:
Sciteach, how would you react if Teddy Kennedy were accused of this (or similar) instead of W?
We can "what if" all day long. The fact is that several here misrepresented the report. I am just pointing that out.

Here is what the article says the leaks contained (notice, nothing about Plame):

CBC said:
authorized a White House official to leak U.S. intelligence about Iraqi weapons while he sought to persuade the world to support an invasion
If it was true, just accused right now, why would he do this? So, let's see. Bush believes that Saddam has weapons, he has intelligence that supports that. The detractors are going to dismiss this information if it come from Bush (dismiss anything from Bush). So the White House leaks some of the sensitive, not classified, info to get it out on the streets without the attachment to Bush. Were is the crime? This in how it works in Washington. You don't think Kennedy leaks info that he has, because of his position, to support his goals? Please!

·
clemclan is offline.
1,057 Posts
upshot said:
So that makes it 'okay'?? What do you think the american people should think of him if he were to stand up under oath and say "I declassified that information to promote my war". What if he were to stand up under oath and deny it? I can just see it now: "I did not have leaking relations with that man"

It all points to the fact that this president has led us into an impossible war by means of manipulation. Legal or not it's time to admit it....
True, it doesn't make it "okay". Like it or not, though, it probably is not even rare for this sort of thing to happen in the fight to shape public opinion. And also probably not unique to this administration.

At that time the available intel indicated at least the possiblilty that Saddam was trying to acquire or make WMD. Stakes are terribly high whichever side you err on - do we wait for something to take out a major city, or do we topple a legitimate (though despised) gov't preemptively but perhaps in error? (Benefit of the doubt given here that Dubya wasn't looking for an excuse to invade Iraq. In my mind, certainly debatable). That "we" have been wrong about so much concerning Iraq (WMD, winning the hearts & minds of the people, insurgency would be minor, no big problem to force 3 very different ethnic/religious branches to work together, etc. etc.) is beyond question. I'm not quite so comfortable convicting the administration of knowingly forcing war upon us and Iraq at this point.

Now, if it turns out that Dubya DID order or authorize the leaking of V. Plame's name, or the info Dubya ordered released to the NYT was known by the administration to be false, then you've got a whole different ballgame. For now though, it seems to me to be an interesting story which raises some valid questions, but not much more. Yet.

Here's another link where you don't have to wade through Pat FitzGerald's precise but numbing use of the English language:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/04/06/ensor/index.html

Me defending Dubya. That's twice now. I'm gonna be sick...

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
clemclan said:
(Benefit of the doubt given here that Dubya wasn't looking for an excuse to invade Iraq. In my mind, certainly debatable). That "we" have been wrong about so much concerning Iraq (WMD, winning the hearts & minds of the people, insurgency would be minor, no big problem to force 3 very different ethnic/religious branches to work together, etc. etc.) is beyond question. I'm not quite so comfortable convicting the administration of knowingly forcing war upon us and Iraq at this point.
Quite a benefit there, given that just about everyone in the whitehouse today has been screaming for regime change in Iraq since the mid 90s. Oh, and there's always the ol' downing street memo..

And my very favorite..
http://www.newamericancentury.org/RebuildingAmericasDefenses.pdf
Further, the process of transformation, even if it brings revolutionary change, is likely to be a long one, absent some catastrophic and catalyzing event – like a new Pearl Harbor.

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
Sciteach said:
... This in how it works in Washington. You don't think Kennedy leaks info that he has, because of his position, to support his goals? Please!
So you would have no problem with his actions. Okay. I'll try to remember that.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
poohbear said:
So you would have no problem with his actions. Okay. I'll try to remember that.
Please take your words out of my mouth. I didn't say it was okay. But, it is not a crime to leak information that is not classified. This info was "sensitive" not classified. And even if it was, again, the President has the right to declassify most information. Again, no chance of a crime.

BTW MAC....seen any black helicopters or suburbans lately?:lol:

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Besides she was digging up info that showed that W was lying about the reason for a perfectly good war. We can't kill off American soldiers fast enough if we can't keep up our unnecessary war.

How 'bout that bin Laden fellow. I think W is working for him.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
The real comedy is all the people who are still sure we're going to find those WMDs :lol:

Couldn't be that these guys have been preaching the merits of regime change in Iraq for years and, as described in their own writings, finally got the chance.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts