Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Lexol Leather finish and cleaning...

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  cbx 
#1 ·
I recently conditioned my drivers and passenger seat. I have grey leather in a 2003 1.8t Passat GLS...the leather now has a bit of a shine to it that I dont really care for and when I look at the seat bolsters they appear to be a bit darker and (yellower?) than the sides of bolsters facing the door and floorboards...Also, in addition the sides have a nice matte finish like stock that I would like to maintain. Is there any way of restoring that finish and color to my seats? They just look older than I would like now...would cleaning take away that hazy finish that seems to have come from the conditioner???

-cbx :???:

#2 ·
Not everything you cleaned with you leather product is leather. The reason for the different appearances I would say result from the improper use of the product. Deviations could be also from wear of the material or a fault in the application and/or removal of it? Did you follow the instructions? Did you buff it out? Use clean towels?

Going further, I dont think any leather products should be used for our stock B5s (making exception to leather add ons such as a shift boot). The amount of actual leather in the interior is minimal. Even this leather then has a sheen to it.. some protective coating. It is best to treat the whole interior either with Aero 303, Lexol Vinyl, or 1Z products designed for vinyl. No turtle wax, armol junk.

A mistake too is to clean the leather. .. then forgot to condition it or vice versa. Even if you were using the right products ya did them out of order.
Shampoo then condition; like hair.

I had kept care of the 01 B5 GLX back north with this approach on detailing. The interior not only looked but smelled brand new.

To remove the hazy, you could use highly diluted dawn with some mild scrubbing. I don't foresee Lexol vinyl cleaner taking that haze away, it is worth a shot. Of course, first test it.

#3 ·
Is this a spray on or rub on conditioner you used?
I agree with PassatVariant in that it sounds like the leather wasnt buffed out after you applied the conditioner leaving an access of moisture. Or not cleaned first. If you did buff it out, then that just may be the way its gonna look.
Also, I have found that the spray on leather conditioners are going to give you that shine. Also remember to never use a vinyl cleaner on leather.

#4 ·
I used a spray bottle but sprayed a clean towel with it...rubbed it on the surface...waited a few minutes as they have said then rubbed with a clean terry towel.

#5 ·
Yeah, thats how its done.... And if you cleaned it first, thats just the way its gonna turn out with the spray on stuff.
Try the "rub in" leather conditioner, I like it a lot better. Turns out a lot less shiny & leaves more "matte" finish.
See, when you clean it, the degreaser inside the soap or whatever cleaner you use will draw the moisture out of the leather, so when you condition it your not building layers of conditioner and dirtyness. The leather will only soak up so much conditioner you know?
Clean that spray on stuff off, re-condition with a rub in cond. and see what you think. :)

#6 ·
That's kind of what I was thinking of doing...perhaps a good cleaning will take off the waxy oily look and give me more of the natural flat color I'm desiring...what do you use personally??? Have you tried any of the meguiars stuff? I'm heading to Pep Boys after work to get some new stuff.

#8 ·
hmmm...either way it sounds like I'm cleaning them off and starting over...hopefully I get the results I want. I hate the worn in shiny look...the car is less than a year old and the seat looks :puke: ... :mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.