Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to post up some pics of my Level Ten Valve Body install. Used 7 quarts of D4, new pan gasket (though it didn't need it), and old filter.

Started the swap from stock to modified valve body at about 11:15, finished up at roughly 1:00. Could be done much quicker, but you know, first time, take your time, measure twice cut once, we had that kinda stuff going on.

You do not have to remove anything to gain access to the pan. It is unobstructed and straight forward install. To remove the valve body first remove about 20-25 pan bolts and 12-16 valve body bolts, all pan bolts are the same size and all valve body bolts are the same with the exception of one valve body bolt. Remove the main connector and the connector from a sensor and the valve body will come out. There aren't any seals or gasket or any sort that will fall out (later wondering, where does this go). Install is just the opposite.

Pay attention to the shift lever on the trans housing and the valve it operates on the valve body. Make sure they mesh properly when installing or you will be draining all your fluid, removing the pan and removing the valve body to fix the problem. The connection between the two is very basic, just look for it when installing. Think that is it, heres the pics, follow the link to more pics and the top rate mechanic in alot of the pictures. Screen Name Alfredo. Check out his new wheels. Pimp.

Alfredo's Elegant Green and me (Jason) in the Dark Green

Kinda looks like a Toureg, lol

Modified Level Ten Valve Body

Stock VB coming out

Its like open heart surgery!

Level Ten on the left

Top Rate Mechanic....Level Ten going in

Reinstalling the pan with new gasket

Filling with Redline D4

http://www.gungho.ws/aeb/Valve Body

Better, worse, same?

Much better then then stock. Shift are preformed before the tip handle is returned to its neutral position. Crisp clean shifts, not harsh at all. I couldn't believe how fast the shfts occur and it is not harsh. This is an excellent mod. I like this mod so much I will be installing the Level Ten Torque Converter in a few months.

So if you got a B5 Torque Converter laying around.....I want to buy it.

That is all I got, I hope it helps someone. If you have any question, you know where to find me.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
glad you got it running and all! is that the valve body you bought from me?

i have a stock torque converter for my '00, but the DDT & EFP use the same TC. not really looking to get rid of it, but if you really want it, send me a PM.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I never knew what a level ten valve body is, and I still don't think I have a clue. I hope someone can go into a little detail to explain what this is. From the other posts I have been reading, this should be down with a large power upgrade to hold the additional power. Enlighten me. Both cars look great in that pic.

jgardner18

·
Registered
216 Posts
What kind of costs are we looking at for a valve train upgrade? How about an indication of price for the level ten torque converter? I'm very very interested, and level ten hasn't been checking their emails.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
boydloh said:
What kind of costs are we looking at for a valve train upgrade? How about an indication of price for the level ten torque converter? I'm very very interested, and level ten hasn't been checking their emails.
600 for the torque converter, 800 for the valve body. you need to send your stock one in, or buy a spare. for the valve body, they also offer a returnable deposit (you pay the deposit for the valve body, and they'll refund it as soon as you send yours back)

·
Registered
216 Posts
D.Passat00 said:
600 for the torque converter, 800 for the valve body. you need to send your stock one in, or buy a spare. for the valve body, they also offer a returnable deposit (you pay the deposit for the valve body, and they'll refund it as soon as you send yours back)
Noob here, so please bear with my questions.

Is the valve body upgrade insufficient for 300-500whp? What difference is there between the standard VW torque converter and the ones modified by level ten?

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
boydloh said:
Noob here, so please bear with my questions.

Is the valve body upgrade insufficient for 300-500whp? What difference is there between the standard VW torque converter and the ones modified by level ten?
the torque converter modification is considered proprietary, but from what i know, they modify the blades somehow.

·
Registered
159 Posts
the stock tiptronic shifts slowly. looks like the level 10 valve body shifts faster. would the level 10 valve body work with a stock engine? (or am i even talking sense?!)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oregonsixteen said:
the stock tiptronic shifts slowly. looks like the level 10 valve body shifts faster. would the level 10 valve body work with a stock engine? (or am i even talking sense?!)
you can put a level 10 valve body on your passat reguardless of power it produces.......but if you are stock....yes you can install this.

I have a K04 kit and make about 75hp more then stock. the stock valve body just shifted entirely too slow, even with the GIAC tip chip it still shifts too slow. I was worried about slow gear engagement wearing parts in my new tranny (15k) and faster shifting doesn't wear parts as much as smooth shifts.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
D.Passat00 said:
glad you got it running and all! is that the valve body you bought from me?

i have a stock torque converter for my '00, but the DDT & EFP use the same TC. not really looking to get rid of it, but if you really want it, send me a PM.

yeah this is the VB I got from you. It has been sitting in the same box, same place since I got it in the mail forever ago. Finally got off my ass and put it in. So far so good.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
evilvariant said:
the tip chip is useless from the get go.
personally I wouldn't say that. It made a pretty big difference with my tranny, just not as much as the valve body.

·
Registered
159 Posts
i've always been a stick shift driver and i can't get used to the tiptronic so i only drive the car in full-auto right now. :banghead: if the level 10 valve can shift fast then i have to consider buying one...

JEM said:
you can put a level 10 valve body on your passat reguardless of power it produces.......but if you are stock....yes you can install this.

I have a K04 kit and make about 75hp more then stock. the stock valve body just shifted entirely too slow, even with the GIAC tip chip it still shifts too slow. I was worried about slow gear engagement wearing parts in my new tranny (15k) and faster shifting doesn't wear parts as much as smooth shifts.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Nice work as always Jason (err Alfredo :lol: ).:thumbup: I didn't get a chance to check out your MK2 the other day since I was changing my oil. We should all get together for a B5 outing in Houston.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got dirty on that install, my clothes, hair, neck, arms were all covered in tranny fluid, lol. Everytime I grabbed a rag to take a picture Alfredo would jump in there. He did do more work them me, but I think he likes it like that, lol

the last couple EAG meets at Mission no one shows up. I have been about 4 times since we all went together. Not one Passat showed. I am down for a meet, we should get Alfredo to set it up, he is good at that shit, lol.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts